Over 2 years out update before/after pics

Mandyplus2 ..
on 6/4/12 1:10 am, edited 6/4/12 1:11 am - GA
Hiya! I haven't been around in a while but looked over the board and see a lot of folks I remember and some new people too. :)

I thought for a while about what to write and finally decided that I'm not going to preach to anyone what rules they should follow or how they should eat - I only know what has worked FOR ME.

My life today: I make good choices while also eating what I want most of the time. I have zero "off limit" foods, no food guilt whatsoever, and have maintained my weight easily. I spent a lot of time post-op learning about nutrition and realize that if I eat a donut, then I need to eat less food overall the rest of the day because calories matter (though I don't currently count calories, I'm just aware of what I put in my mouth and no longer in denial about it).

As for how much I can eat at this point, I still have decent restriction. I can eat more at two years out than at one year out. I have normal hunger, but solid protein stays with me a long time. To give you an idea: I can eat two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, though one and a half is really better as two full eggs makes me a little overly full. One Meximelt from Taco Bell or one medium slice of pizza is a good portion for me.

I can eat at a restaurant and pass as normal, just seeming not very hungry to people who don't know I have the VSG. I still do not like to drink with my food as it makes my tummy feel uncomfortable.

I don't have any complications, I don't throw up, I don't have pain, no nausea, my GERD has improved since surgery (it was BAD as a pre-op, probably because I was constantly stuffing myself), I don't need to count calories if I don't want to (though I do when I'm in bodybuilding mode), I don't feel bad when I eat "junk" food (it's all just carbs/fat/protein/calories to me), my life is perfectly NORMAL and WONDERFUL! I am not "skinny" but I'm a normal weight that is easy to maintain with no stress.

We went to the beach on vaction last week and I wore a skirted bikini and didn't feel self-conscious at all. I walked around the beach, the pool, the resort grounds in my bathing suit with no cover up and felt great!

I have absolutely NOTHING negative to say about the VSG - not one tiny thing. Best decision I have ever made!

Good luck to all pre-op and post-ops!

Before:

Last week:

5'8" - 40 years old

skyjem
on 6/4/12 1:14 am - Canada
You look fabulous! It's good to see your maintaining your weight and are able to eat everything in moderation.

kimberleyann
on 6/4/12 1:23 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Thank you so much for sharing your story.  It is great to hear from vets about where they are further down the journey. Congrats

Radeechie
on 6/4/12 1:30 am
VSG on 04/30/12
Thank you so much for sharing your viewpoints and experiences!  I feel sooo much better, I can't tell you.  Lately,  I have been feeling like I used to when it came to dieting without the sleeve-- overwhelmed, and worried about/ feeling like I had failed as it is very difficult for me to limit carbs and track everything religiously.  That is partly why I got the sleeve surgery-- so that I can have a tool that will act as a safety net and help me avoid making the continued bad decisions that used to be second-nature for me.  I really needed to hear from someone like you. 

You have helped me restore my positive attitude about this endeavor.  I can't thank you enough.  And, as I hope you know, you are beautiful!  Congrats!

Mandyplus2 ..
on 6/4/12 1:41 am - GA
Aww I know how you feel. It's very important to me not to get into the dieting shame spiral that I did as a pre-op. This is why for ME, I make sure to recognize that there aren't good foods and bad foods, just choices over the balance of our foods. There are no off limit foods. If I eat chips, I ate carbs and fat. If I eat eggs, I ate protein and fat. If I eat pizza, I ate carbs, protein and fat. I spent a lot of time learing about nutrition, calories, and the importance of macro and micro nutrients. This helps me not villify foods and take responsibility for my choices.

One thing that helps is that I say, ok, after I eat my chicken/beef/fish I can have some of "x." Usually I'm full and only end up eating a few bites of the other stuff that I don't need as much of.

5'8" - 40 years old

Mandyplus2 ..
on 6/4/12 1:35 am - GA
Thanks everyone! I am just happy to offer encouragement or ease any fears. I don't post much anymore as I'm far enough out on my journey that I don't even think about VSG anymore, but I remember when I was new and people made comments that the reason vets don't post anymore is probably because they've gained back their weight and are embarrassed. Um, no. Most of us have just gone on with living our lives and/or have moved on to other big things that take up our time (I started two new businesses which keep me extremely busy).
 5'8" - 40 years old

ready2sleeve
on 6/4/12 1:36 am - CA
Hey Mandy,

It's so good to see you back. Thank you for the inspiration, I wish you continued success.

Can you lead me to where I can find out what to eat to get into the bodybuilding stage post op please?

Take care
Carla

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
Mandyplus2 ..
on 6/4/12 1:48 am - GA
Hi Carla!

Where I learned the most is on bodybuilding.com in the Nutrition section. There are stickies there to read and even one to help you calculate your caloric needs and macro balance. Most of these stickies are great for general nutrition - not just bodybuilding. :)
 5'8" - 40 years old

ready2sleeve
on 6/4/12 2:23 am - CA
 Thanks Mandy,

I will check it out.

Carla 

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
Most Active