Question about Protein after surgery

Caroline K.
on 6/3/12 12:45 pm - MS
I was sleeved on May 23 and I am still on a sugar free clear liquid diet with no protein except the tiny amount from broth and I won't start them until Thursday. My question is....how many of you had pretty much zero protein for the first 2 weeks after surgery? I don't feel bad but i am worried about healing. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
cece58
on 6/3/12 12:47 pm - CA
 I was told to get as much protein as possible. I was given two weeks of protein supplements consisting of liquid protein drinks. In fact, i was given liquid protein in the hospital. My doctor wanted me to get up to 80 grams per day as soon as I could and eventually up to 100 grams. Never heard of no protein for the first couple of weeks.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

mame31
on 6/3/12 1:05 pm - RI
VSG on 05/29/12
 As always...check with your doctr...but my doctor had us drinking Protien shakes in the hospital...our ability to take in at least 40 ounces of water and 3 shakes a day determined our ability to go home. 
I was sleeved on Tuesday the 29th and have been gettn in my minimum 60-80 g of Protien each day long with 8+ glasses of water dily...feeling great- full of energy and almost all of the gas is gone

Good luck!

Mame31
Caroline K.
on 6/3/12 1:06 pm - MS
I just wanted to add that between my 2 week pre-op diet and this sugar free clear liquid diet I have lost 48 pounds. I am really proud of that but just worried about healing. It seems this is my doctor's norm but doesn't sound condusive to healing to me.
Sherri B.
on 6/3/12 1:09 pm
I was on a clear liquid diet for one week post-op and then moved to a full liquid diet the second week so protein shakes were allowed then, but the first week it was clear liquids only but my doctor encourages his patients to drink Special K Protein Water mix-ins (5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber per packet). He wanted me to do 3 of these a day, but I was hardly able to get 1 a day down.
The second week I didn't drink the protein shakes either although I was suppose to. I did mostly broth, cream soups (no chunks) and clear liquids.
I had no issues healing and my scar is practically not noticable.
Follow your surgeons advice and you should be fine.

fennges
on 6/3/12 9:22 pm - MI
My protein requirements match most of the others posting--60-80 grams daily, beginning as soon after surgery as possible.

I asked my nutritionist about the conflicting "eating" requirements I read about on here. She said "do what we say, not what others have been told to follow". I will try to follow her advice.

Sue     SW 260 lbs. GW 155 lbs.  5 ft. 5 in. 60 years young 
Surg. Date 6/4/12  
CW 11/25/12  189 lbs.

rabid24
on 6/3/12 9:46 pm
I will be on clear liquids for one week after surgery (was told not to worry about protein till week 2). I'm going to try and get around the no protein thing by ordering the protein chicken broth from Unjury and some unflavored protien powder to mix in with crystal light.

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

Most Active