Tomorrow is my surgery day..any advice??

sunshine777
on 6/11/12 6:25 am
VSG on 06/12/12

I am to report to surgery tomorrow at 5:30am. I am nervous, anxious, stressed, and well really emotional about everything. I hear about the hormone changes after surgery which I hope is not an issue for me. I am still getting over pregnancy hormones..I have an almost 3 month old. She was born c-section which I recovered rather quickly. I am hoping I can say the same about getting sleeved. Anyway do any of you have advice for my hospital stay? Is there anything I should take with me to make it a tad bit more comfortable after surgery? 

sutherngrl94
on 6/11/12 6:34 am - Raleigh, NC
Sunshine, you will be just fine.

I was nervous, anxious and all the other things as well.  The best advice I can give you is to bring your own beloved pillow, maybe a book (I brought one and never read any of it), your cell phone and charger (if you want to call anyone) and a change of clothes for the ride home.

Also, you won't feel like it but some more advice is to get up and walk as soon as possible.  It will help get all the air out of your body which won't be comfortable.  I had my mom get me up and walk with me at 3:30 am.  I was determined it was going to get out because I was so uncomfortable and hurting. 

Other than that I wasn't in much pain (of course my mom kept reminding me of my morphine pump) and when I got a slight headache they quickly fixed it with some liquid Tylenol.  I was there one night.  Try to drink as much as you can without hurting yourself.  You won't want to do that either but it's really necessary in order to leave the hospital.

All of that being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat!!  You will be home and will be amazed how quickly the time goes by.  Deep breaths (no hyperventilating) and try to relax.  You'll be back here telling us all about it before you know it. 

Keep us updated!!

barber64
on 6/11/12 6:59 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
I'm 5 days out. as for the morphine I used it twice once I was in my room.. if you use it a lot you will get nauseated. 3 of the other woman I meet in physical therapy said they where nausea all the time they over did it. They did not want to feel the pain. .  To me my pain was not that bad.

When you wake up from recovery room. all I can thank was.  "Did they do it? is it over?" but do as they tell you to do and you will be fine. but take some GAS Strips with you. you will have gas.

Good Luck.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/11/12 6:35 am
it'll be over soon - and it's normal to be nervous.  I don't know about comforable but just keep in mind how easy it is to get dehydrated in the immediate post-op period. 

have a variety of fluids and experiment with them and with temperature. ICE cold worked for me - some like warm or even room temperature.

track your intake and sip ALL DAY LONG.

that's the main thing!  (once you are getting in all the fluid you need then start tracking protein)

Happy VSG!!!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

AmberK
on 6/11/12 6:48 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Praying for you! Just remember that everyday you feel better and better! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

Moniachelle
on 6/11/12 8:08 am
VSG on 05/22/12
I'm almost 3 weeks post op. I had my surgery on may 22 2012,  my advice is make sure you have all of your supplies before your surgery the first few days you will not want to leave the house. LOL sugar free popsciles will be the best thing ever. finally just take a deep breath and get ready for the journey! Praying all goes well for you. Keep us posted.

sunshine777
on 6/11/12 10:33 am
VSG on 06/12/12
Thank you all! 
MeeMiss75
on 6/11/12 1:29 pm - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
 I know you'll be fine tomorrow. Follow the tips you've received and all will be well.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views