OT: Advice needed, bad bronchitis.. right before a major trip!

INgirl
on 6/17/12 8:35 am
Gah, timing stinks!! Whiny rant ahead!

Last Sunday, I started being symptomatic with what I could tell was going to be a doozy of a chest cold, first in a couple years. Started right in with the Cold-Eeze, it didn't save me this time.. This led to a serious sore throat, swollen glands, fever.. chest congestion.. and the sore throat was getting worse after 5 days, not better- so to the Drs on Friday I go. Since we are leaving for our 10th anniversary dream trip this coming Sunday, doc rx's me antibiotics.. it had already progressed to a good case of bronchitis, and the throat was getting worse and not better.. normally he wouldn't, but I'm glad he did.

On to today: throat progressively got better within 24hrs of starting the Zpack. Chest congestion is breaking up and I'm hacking up a lung every 5mins.. that's a good thing. My biggest issue: EXTREME FATIGUE. Like coming off the flu level fatigue. I cannot sort laundry w/i sweating and getting faint! I'm sitting in an air conditioned house, sweating.. this is not good. We are heading to a non-a/c'd place in one week, with high 80's temps, and planned on hiking our butts off, in addition to other activities~! I normally feel wonderful in 80* temps, right now, I feel hot.. constantly.. My temp is still hovering around 100.. and on top of this all- I have completely lost my sense of smell, nada- no taste, no smell. I can taste salt, that's about it. 

I am pushing the protein, despite not tasting anything.. pushing the fluids, taking my vites and trying to rest.. any suggestions from you guys on anything else I could do to get better faster? I wish I had a couple weeks to get my feet back under me. I really, really wanted to be at my peak for this trip and I'm afraid I'm going to be a weak, sapped, uncomfortable sweating hot mess.. instead of the energetic snorkling and hiking partner I planned on being.. I can't even get enthused about the trip, I'm that run down from this thing. I haven't been sidelined with this bad a virus in years.. Grrr.. Sorry, normally I keep things more chipper- I'm just not a person that does well when really sidelined. 
Mcnurse518
on 6/17/12 8:42 am - TX
VSG on 05/09/12
 Go back to the dr. Ask for rocephin shot and steroid shot. Might need an inhaler. This will fix ya right up!

INgirl
on 6/17/12 8:48 am
I do have an albuterol inhaler, used it a couple times before the congestion broke up- thankfully, it's not deep.. I will check into the steroid idea, can't use rocephin- allergic to all cephalosporins.. I do have a couple days left on my antibiotic pack though. Thanks!
Mcnurse518
on 6/17/12 8:51 am - TX
VSG on 05/09/12
 You can ask for lincicin.
moonglo82
on 6/17/12 8:48 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Definitely talk to the dr about the steroid shot. Get lots and lots of rest between now and the trip. As quickly as the Z-pack seems to be working, I bet you'll be yourself again by next weekend, or pretty darn close.

I hope you feel better soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

INgirl
on 6/17/12 8:56 am
Thanks Moonglo, I really hope so! 
loverofcats
on 6/17/12 9:17 am
What a bummer, before such a big trip!!! Years ago, it used to take me about 3 weeks to recover from bronchititis, but I was a smoker at the time, and didn't have the steroids that they have now. Fatigue was the biggest problem. The antibiotics should really, really help, as well as the inhaler.

Sending positive thoughts your way. I think that you will be feeling better in one week, maybe not a 100%, but better than you feel right now.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

INgirl
on 6/17/12 9:36 am
Thanks Gail! I am hoping.  Definitely bringing the inhaler with me.. just in case! Wish there was a magic pill to pop that would instantly give me the pep back. The lungs are clearing out, it's that fatigue/weakness issue.. I hate feeling puny.
happiegirl
on 6/17/12 9:27 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Have you had your D3 levels checked?  D3 plays an important roll in the immune system.  I give it to my daughter every time she gets starts getting sick.  She is prone to upper respiratory infections.  She hasn't had a serious one since I started this. 

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

INgirl
on 6/17/12 9:31 am
Yep, all labs are great- I got my D3 up from the low 30's (pre-op) to 89 last I checked back in Dec.. I still supplement to keep it good & high.
Most Active