The dreaded PLATEAU

amidwife4u
on 6/18/12 3:52 am

Well, I am nearly 9 months post op....in 11 more days.  I have not lost any weight for 6 weeks!  I have lost a few inches and people tell me they can see that I've "lost"....Ugh!  That darned scale!  I have not been very consistent with exercise and am working on that now.  I have upped and then decreased my calories....NOTHING!  I am finally able to get in 64+ ounces of water a day.  I really struggled with the water intake after surgery!  Really beginning to enjoy water again and how it feels to truly be hydrated!

Any advice on getting this plateau to break.  I am averaging about 1000 calories a day,  I usually have one 700-800 calorie day, and one 12-1300 calorie day.  My doctor wants me at 1000 to 1200 now.  I am 5'3, currently weigh 158-160....bounces up and down sometimes a little higher...as high as 164....this morning 159.  I am averaging about 60-90 grams of protein a day.  I do average about 60-100 carbs daily.  If I go below 60, I get mush brain and as a nurse practitioner, I can't have that!  I have been more lax on the carbs recently (in the last 1-2 weeks), but not too bad.

Thanks for any help.
I can give you a food log if that would be helpful.....just let me know.

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
ruggie
on 6/18/12 5:11 am - Sacramento, CA
 Same advice I always give - keep calories under 800, protein over 80g, carbs under 40g, three liters of water a day. I'd put money down your stall will break. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

ruggie
on 6/18/12 5:12 am - Sacramento, CA
 Oh, and you can go under 60g of carbs a day - it'll just take you 2-3 days to get past the 'brain mush' feeling. This in itself is a good indication that your carb intake may be too high. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 5:27 am
What ruggie said!  I would bet you money that you are not in a stall but in maintenance.  If you want to see the scale go down, try what has worked for so many of us, and the carb thing will get better in 3-4 days.  Good luck, I am pulling for you to make it to goal!
amidwife4u
on 6/18/12 7:48 am
OK, I hear ya.....my only reservation about the carb thing is that I am a nurse midwife....and if you were seeing me today or having your baby and things weren't going textbook, would you want me caring for you with "mush brain"?   I just don't want to make a poor decision because I am restricting carbs!  Puts me between a rock and a hard spot.  I will try to drop my carbs by 5 per week and see how I do.  Yesterday I only got 45 grams of carbs and I feel like I can't focus today!   Ugghhh!

I don't like the idea of being in maintenance however.....so gotta do something!  Carb target today will be 50 to 55.   Tomorrow will be 5 less than I get today....maybe a slow withdrawl will keep the mushies from entering my brain!

Thanks for advice.

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views