Being bitten on the behind.....(long post)

desertmom
on 6/19/12 4:21 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
By our own words and our own advice.

In 2004 I had the lapband which was all the rage at that point.Instead of getting thinner I got sick.After much struggles I decided to make the best of the situation and I dieted(LOW CARB) and exercise,like only a new bariatric patient can,and I lost 120 pounds.I did this while the band was unfilled.

There,I was a VET,almost at goal and I too knew it all.Gave advice about proteins,exercise,sticking to the plan...I really thought I had this weight issue licked.Tough love is what I thought some needed..lol

A few years after weightloss surgery it gets old,yes you forget the trauma of the surgery,the excitment of being thin (people get use to the way you look,you get use to it,yes you will!) and life happens every day.No one in their right mind stays low carb for the rest of their life if they are not forced to (like some are by dumping with GB)

Problem was that I was just on another diet for a few years,I didnt learn what normal was.Our default as humans are normal,well,most of us anyway.

I started adding little bits of carbs with big bounceback weight.And the cycle of self critisizm and defeat started again.Low carbing didnt bring the life changes I needed.For me.If it works for you,great!

Sometimes when I read the posts of people a year,a year and a half 2 years our,I laugh.We get so self righteous about the things we think we know.

Now some will say it will never be easy and you will always have to be strict with yourself and you cannot eat more calories or carbs,well it is your prerogative to believe that for the rest of your life.

I however have chosen a different strategy as I am making an effort not to be so sure of things than I previously thought I was so sure of.

Skinny people without weight problems and that love food,is now my mentors.Heres the things I've come to believe is very important for me to become normal:
1.I dont have to decide in the morning that this will be a good food day,I just have to make a good chioce before every meal.Proteins as the core and little bits of things that brings joy..like salad...
No one needs a lot of carbs,a little is enough.

2.always,all the time,forever.It gets easier with time I believe.

3. Skinny people do not deprive themselves but they dont overindulge either, a treat is just that,a treat something on occation,not every day and sometimes not even every week.

4.learn to feel comfortable to say no to yourself.Practice it,you get better with it as time goes by.

5.Cultural foods seems to be like breathing,you've just got to do it.Indians love curry,Mexicans love tortillas,South Africans "braai" ( barbeque) Learn which of the foods the skinnies eat more of.There no excuse for over indulging.

6.We have to eat for a reason.It is not just to fuel ourselves,it is also a part of being social and it is delightful.

7.Eat tasty,pretty looking food.Eating is more than just snarfing down a piece of chicken.It is a visual,tactile satisfying experience.

8.If at all possible,dont snack.You dont fill up that way and can easily comsume way more calories than you think you are.

9.If you slip,forgive yourself and move on.Let it go.You know what is right and wrong,make those choices when the next meal come.

10.Stop making excuses for not losing weight.No one on earth can over a long period of time be on 800 calories and not lose weight,change what you do,exercise more.Eat different foods.Keep trying until you find what works for you.By just getting frustrated you will not have the positivity needed for change.Be patient.

11.Be teachable.Stop running around for someone to help you,only you can help yourself.

Most of all,be NICE!If you dont have somerhing positive to say,or cant say it in a nice way,just dont say anything.If you feel fruatrated with other peoples struggles...thats your frustration,deal with it.

A support group is suppose to support.Its not always about you!

Now,I might get flamed for saying these things but I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.Thats why I will keep updating my wonderful journey (because I choose for it to be) to getting skinny and stay skinny.

I have battled with some advice I was given on the forums and I critisized myself a lot for the first 2 months.(my dr doesnt cut out food groups at all)I stalled and lost weight slower than ever.Until I decided this was my journey,to take responsibility and to become free of the burden of "this is what works".I am older now less obsessed about all this than I have ever been and I enjoy my little bits of food more than ever.My hunger (that didnt leave post op)was in my attitude and my head and this is the way I am dealing with it now.
xxo
Ps. O,and I believe my hair wont fall out...lol,just kidding.

3 monhts 55 pounds down ( with all my carbs) 67 to go.
comeundone
on 6/19/12 4:34 pm - OH
 No flame here.
Lynn
P.s Good luck on the Hair
HW 289  SW 242

Happy966
on 6/19/12 9:17 pm
 No flaming here either. It is a lifelong struggle that's for sure!  I have lost and regained 120 pounds, then 60 three times.  And I maintained my 120 pound loss for 5 years before I relapsed. I didn't think I had it licked, but it was remarkable and terrifying how my addictive eating roared back at full force. Five years after reaching goal. 

If I don't enjoy it, I don't eat it. As I get further out, I am thinking about adding more structure to my eating.   I'm on my iPhone and just can't thumb type anymore. Lucky you!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

RobynNOLA
on 6/19/12 9:27 pm - New Orleans, LA
Thanks!

smbergie200
on 6/19/12 10:35 pm - Naples, FL
So just out of curiosity did you get VSG or are you losing the natural way. Do you still have an unfilled band inside you? Anyway - there are some good tidbits of advice that I totally agree with.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

tripmom02
on 6/19/12 10:57 pm - NJ
Do you still have a band, or are you a revision? 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/12 12:06 am - CA
I really enjoyed this post. It's very real...Thank you!
desertmom
on 6/20/12 2:48 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi

I am a revision.

This was really the most enlightening thing I could have done for myself as it forced me to become teachable.

"to stop being so sure of things I really had no right to be sure of because what I'd been doing just wasnt working for me".

xxo
tripmom02
on 6/20/12 3:10 am - NJ
 My revision was the best decision that was ever made for me (I had to have my band out, emergency surgery, no choice). Glad you are doing so well, it really is a process, and it's amazing what you learn about yourself along the way. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

ib40
on 6/20/12 3:09 am
I think it's wonderful to have a positive attitude about food. I, too, have found myself pickier about what I choose to eat. I would rather eat one Godiva caramel than a piece of supermarket cake. I prefer to eat the best cuts of steaks--they are leaner, more tender, and taste better. I can't consume much these days, so what goes in my mouth should be the best I can afford.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views