Was anyone insulin resistant prior to wls?

ADW222
on 6/28/12 12:23 am - ENCINO, CA
I have been on a stall for over 4 months now.  For the life I can not figure out why I can not break this stall.  But whenever I got close to to 280 prior to surgery I had this same problem.  I can not get past 280. I went to an endocrinologist this past week and he said I was completely healthy but I am 7 points higher with my insulin than normal. And he told me to go on an atkins diet.  Diets did not work for me prior to surgery and they still don't work.  I have pretty much tried cutting back even lower in calories, increase my calories, work out twice a day, increase my water and protein, avoiding carbs like the plague, etc.  At this point this is becoming more and more stressful and depressing. Has anyone had this problem?
acbbrown
on 6/28/12 1:02 am - Granada Hills, CA
Hey my friend - glad to see you around here again :)

Sorry you are going through a hard time right now - are you weighing/measuring/logging your food intake and counting calories/carbs/protein?  If not, that's a good place to start because if you havent been losing for 4 months, you have likely found your maintenance point. If you haven't tried it - myfitnesspal is a great tool to do this and get support at the same time ;)

I think the reason your doc recommended atkins is because you may need to go low-carb - you can do this without necessarily being on a "diet" per se. I think it would be better called a low-carb plan. Unfortunately, it appears that most of us will have to watch/limit carbs during both WL and maintenance. It takes time to get results though. Just cutting back calories, carbs or both for a couple days or even just a week or two at a time may not be long enough to see the results so you have to stick with it.

I can't help you with the "stressful and depressing" part b/c im right there with you - all i know is you  just have to keep trying. There's no other option. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ADW222
on 6/28/12 1:22 am - ENCINO, CA
I am hitting everything as far as protein, water, and viatamins on target. I have tracked my intake on paper and I am doing better with that. My carb intake is not extremely high but it could be better but I know if I eat just meat, vegetables, and fruit at some point I will crave my carbs.  But the funny part is I don't even eat a full serving at all because I am trying get in my vegetables for fiber.Literally a bite.  I just am at a loss right now.  If I am stll having this issue at a year out I am going to see if I can possibly do the DS.  I would prefer not too but VSG isn't working for me as of right now. I did not go through all of this to not get the results I wanted. This has been going on since the beginnigng of February.  I am just disappointed at this point.  I even got a new job that I am a lot more active than my past job.  I just don't know anymore.
acbbrown
on 6/28/12 1:36 am - Granada Hills, CA
Do you have a phone you can download apps on to and myfitnesspal for tracking? I use it daily and it really helps with accurate info - and the support is great. You can get feedback on your daily logs in terms of food and what not.

The thing I find with carbs - the less I eat, the less I crave. The more I eat, the more I want it.

Have you tried limiting your calories to around 800 and 40g of carbs? I did that for about 6 weeks and lost a few lbs. It was tough but it works. Dont give up on the VSG - you just have to really push through the hard times (and when you are depressed and stressed its even harder) but you can do this.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 6/28/12 1:56 am - TN
First, I am sorry you are having such a tough time.  As hard a it is, try to not let it set up a defeatist mindset.  Lots of us have had great success with the sleeve and so can you!  You aren't alone. 

I can second what Alison says about MFP - it has been a great tool for me.  I wasn't just insulin resistant before my surgery - I was full on diabetic.  Since surgery I have been extremely compliant regarding the diet - no starchy vegertables, extremely low carb (less that 40g per day), focusing on only dense protein.  

It has worked extremely well for me.  I would not have gotten there though without tracking every last crumb that went in my mouth in apps like MFP.

Are you going to support groups?  Those help me quite a bit and have especially helped me understand my cravings and develop tools for controlling them.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

ashwarren
on 6/28/12 2:16 am
I have PCOS and was insulin resistant.  I am on glucophage for treatment.  I tried not taking it after surgery thinking all would be good but nope...I would stall.  Could be something to look into. 
  HW: 240 SW: 227       
SuzanneR
on 6/28/12 2:27 am - Randolph, NJ
I have been insulin resistant and have PCOS and have also been on metformin (glucophage). Since surgery and eating very low carb I have lost weight. If I am doing what I am supposed to do (eating low carb..no breads, pasta, rice, sweets, cracker etc) and high protein and getting some (at least) moderate exercise my insulin resistance should remian improved per my endocrinologist. Bear in mind I am also post menopausal which may make a diference on how my metabolism acts in response to the PCOS.. That being said, if I do not continue to lose weight and I am honest about my food intake and activity level, I will need to revisit taking glucophage but perhaps at a much decreased dosage. In the past, at my highest weight I was on 2000 mg per day.

Anne D.
on 6/28/12 4:55 am
You probably would do well on a primal diet. That's what works for me. Cut the carbs, no grain or sugar. Get your carbs from veggies and a Little bit of fruit. Eat meat, keep your protein up. Track your food on my fitnesspal or something. Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views