Recommendations for warm clear liquids, please!

Suzanne2012
on 7/1/12 6:20 am
Hello everyone!  I was sleeved on Wednesday and came home on Friday.  Everything is OK - but like some others that I have read, everything is gurgling very loud and also giving me immediate diarhhea.  Shockingly, I tried 2 oz of chicken broth and it went down GREAT.  Shockingly because it is July 1 and 100 degrees and I want warm chicken broth.  So - I am looking for recommendations from others for warm clear liquids.  For Protein I have been having Max Protein shakes (chocolate and vanilla) and it takes forever to get them down.  I don't know about unflavored protein to add to broth.  I live in a town of about 30,000.  We have Walmart, Target, a GNC and a Complete Nutrition.  I haven't even been able to find Premier RTD shakes here but am headed to Sam's Club later this week and am hopeful I will be able to find them.  Any recommendations for getting that liquid in would be MUCH appreciated.  Thank you!
stephanieplum
on 7/1/12 6:45 am
VSG on 06/27/12
 I've been drinking Powerade Zero, adding Mio flavors to water ( I love the peach tea ), sf posicles, water down blended cream of wheat, chicken broth, and also thinking about straining some soups and just drinking the broth for different flavors.  I found some unflavored protein powder at GNC but am going to call my Nut. before I use it.  I also live in a smaller town with not a lot of options.  I bought Premier Protein at Costo.
It looks like we were sleeved on the same day:).  

RidgebackMom
on 7/1/12 8:59 am - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
 Miso soup was good for me.  I cooked carrots & other veggies in chicken broth to flavor it to change it up a bit.  You're right... It takes soooooo long to eat at first.  It will get easier.
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

bluemems
on 7/1/12 9:44 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Decaf (sweetened with artifical sweetner if you like) warm/hot tea was a favorite of mine right after surgery. I was not a big warm/hot tea drinker before, but I found in the weeks immediately following surgery, the warm/hot tea really helped me get my liquids in.  Now I just want everything ice cold (just like before surgery) that I drink.

time4me2now
on 7/1/12 9:49 am
VSG on 05/24/12
I spoiled myself by making a big pot of homemade chicken broth before I went into the hospital.  My second choice would be "Better than Bouillon" brand broths.  You can find them next to the bouillon cubes.  It is a paste consistency, and it makes yummy broth.  You may have to strain it because there are tiny pieces of meat.

My other warm favorite was herbal teas.  I get the Organic Ginger Aid tea.  Ginger reduces inflammation, so it feels so good on a new sleeve.  You can sweeten it a bit.

HW 266  SW 243  CW 161  

doggz109
on 7/1/12 10:18 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I completely preferred warm fluids for the first week or so.....so I can totally relate even with the warm weather.

Hydration is key....no matter the temp.  Warm chicken broth (or really any type of broth/strained soup  - veggie, beef, chicken, miso), herbal tea, coffee (once you are cleared for it).  All great ideas.

savaughn87
on 7/1/12 10:39 am - IL
VSG on 06/21/12
GNC does sell a whey protein isolate that is unflavored in store. It is their brand in the AMP line. I've also tried their fruit punch (didn't care for it), chocolate (tastes like liquid Nutella), and vanilla (was good pre-op but seems too sweet post op so I use it in coffee).
 *Samantha*

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/1/12 10:46 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Personally, I think a good deal of the diarrhea is from all of the sucralose (which is a laxative) in the shakes.

Anywho, for protein I'm pretty impressed with the Pure Protein shakes we were able to find at WalMart and Trader Joe's in San Diego. I wish we'd bought a few more to take home with us, because they'll undoubtedly be a pain to find back home in Canada. With 35g of protein, 4 of carbs and only 170 calories they're a great deal, since 2 of them give me all of my protein for the day and I can drink broth or herbal tea for the rest of my fluids. They also happen to be delicious. They go down a little easier if you mix them with water (or coconu****er) to thin them. I'm only 5 days out and find anything in the least bit thickened is much harder to get down.

We also bought some clear Ensure, but for the mere 9 grams of protein they have a lot of calories and carbs - and are way too sweet. I'm glad I only have 2 left. Cutting them with water helps get them down, but like I said they're no bargain for us.

I've had the Premiere shakes before and wouldn't cross the street to get them. I found them tasteless and of a truly gross texture. They are redeemable by dumping the glop into the blender with ice and something to give them some flavour. My usual was instant coffee and some sweetener.

GNC will definitely have unflavoured whey protein. It won't mix happily into anything hot unless you sneak up on it and mix it into cold water first. By mixing the whey into maybe an ounce of cool water, then adding your broth you get a nice sipping temperature without nasty little clumps of the whey. I'm fond of the various flavours of "Better Than Bullion." The post-op diet packet from Dr Aceves suggested trying the broth packets from ramen noodles (toss the noodles) as a change of flavour.

Something else that is going down fairly well is vegetable juice mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with water. Apple juice is bearable only watered down, but is greatly improved by heating. I also don't mind Mio or Crystal Light heated up, but once again - sucralose...

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Suzanne2012
on 7/1/12 10:50 am
Thanks everyone! Did pick up some more chicken and beef broth and am about to try the Organic Ginger Aid tea. Have never been a tea drinker so it will be interesting to see if I become home. I appreciate the tips! Also, Stephanie Plum - yes, looks like we were sleeved the same day. And I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan!
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/12 5:35 pm

Unjury Chicken Soup!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views