Liquid Meal Replacement Preference

suzie2241
on 7/5/12 3:47 am
VSG on 11/02/12
Hi, I'm pre-op!

I was wondering what liquid meal replacement (protein) drinks everyone likes. My doctor's office recommended Medifast, but that has to be ordered online and what if I don't like it?

I a partial to chocolate/vanilla flavored stuff.

Thanks so much for your input!
Sue

moonglo82
on 7/5/12 3:51 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I like the Premier Protein drinks. You can order them online, but the easiest way to get them is at Costco or Sam's. The Sam's near me just started carrying the vanilla in addition to the chocolate, and I think Costco has both as well.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jamie M.
on 7/5/12 4:03 am
 I really like the premier drinks as well. I'm six days post op and it's all I've had so far. They are pretty tasty. 
Bf516
on 7/5/12 4:05 am
I am also preop...
I am drinking Jay Robb.
Not a request of my doctor yet but I was preparing myself
I bought mine at the local Krogers.

I have started writing down different items that the 'vets' recommend though.

It's a good idea, jmo!
Happy966
on 7/5/12 4:14 am, edited 7/5/12 4:14 am

I did not know this when I started out, but in bariatric world, "meal replacements" usually have more calories (and carbs) plus some vitamins in them. Protein supplements are usually just protein, with much fewer carbs (if any) compared to meal replacements. If you buy things that are actually called "meal replacements" read the label to see what you're getting. Usually too many calories and carbs for the amount of protein. I look for 22-24 g per serving, with no more than 135 calories per serving. Premixed shakes are usually a little higher on the calorie count, but some folks tolerate them much better. Good luck!

P.S. My absolute favorite right now is Nectar Syntrax Double Stuffed Cookie. Kind of like ground up Oreos. Hope it doesn't get triggery for me!! All the Nectars have hardly any carbs or fats in them - 100 cal per 23 g of protein.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

BIGGY
on 7/5/12 5:17 am - Tulsa, OK
VSG on 07/24/12
@happy where can we get the

Syntrax Nectar Double Stuffed Cookie packet

HW:375 (04/02/12) 
SW:339 (07/
24/12)
CW:244 (11/13/14)

Happy966
on 7/5/12 5:43 am

I have not found samples.  I bought a 2-lb tub, since I knew I liked the Syntrax Chocolate Truffle and figured it was a safe bet.  I got my from Vitacost, or you can order from Vitacost via Amazon.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/12 4:35 am - Raleigh, NC
VSG on 06/27/12 with

Sue, I tried Premium shakes and didn't like them, (I might be the only one).  I like the EAS Mypolex Lite protein shakes, I get them at Wal-Mart, they come in a four pack....I think it's the chocolate fudge that I get 20g protein! The container is purple.

Like Happy I like the double stuff cookie too

Happy researching!
Jackie

Carmelita
on 7/5/12 4:58 am, edited 7/5/12 4:58 am - Four Corners, NM
There's IS a difference between...reg protein SUPPLEMENT powder/drinks....and MEAL REPLACEMENT PROTEIN supps.

Meal replacements are VILE...do not buy too much of that crap. Only enough for pre-op and maybe post op a couplea weeks..as your program/surgeon recs. Once yer takin your multi-vits n minerals...GO REG Protein Supp/drinks...your program manual will give you their guidelines...amount of carbs (sugar) it can contain, protein minumums etc.

I was given a choice...Bariatric Advantage or Optifast meal replacement...like an IDIOT I went with Bariatric Advantage.

...went to their warehouse in Irvine Cali..... w/ my obesity-thinkin mind .. MORE is always better!! ....bought 3 flavors 6 - 5 pound tubs...$300 bucks worth of the most NASTY tasting abominations this side of the planet. No returns. The smell...like a rottin animal...I had to drink that crap!! I'd hold my nose just to get it down me. Post op tho I got smart n put it in sf pudding to mask the taste!

I haven't read too many complaints on Medifast here. Maybe do an OH search "VSG Medifast"

since post op our tastes change and smell is heightened...don't get into buyin too much of any kind.

IF Medifast offers an UNFLAVORED meal replacement...CHOOSE THAT over flavored ones...at least ya can add it to foods..change up the flavors by adding..w/ extracts, sf syrups, cocoas, crystal light, puddings, ...easier imo.

On meal replacements....suzie...I wish ya MUCH LUCK!!
allnewME
on 7/5/12 8:16 am - Pleasant Hill, MO
VSG on 08/02/12 with
I used Medifast shakes for quite awhile, I bought the diabetic chocolate and they are good, just blend with water and ice. I have heard they were going to reformulate them or discontinue the diabetic version. They are a soy based protein, at least I think they are. You have to order them from Medifast or you can sometimes find them on Ebay. They are not inexpensive, like most "diet" items, $2.00 or more a package.
~~Joyce~~
The Greatest Adventure you can ever take
Is to live the life of your Dreams....

Most Active