GERD before surgery?

lelagoddess
on 7/8/12 2:16 am
I've been planning a revision from band to vertical sleeve for a while now--a year and a half actually.  And I'm finally on an insurance plan where we have a date in sight and everything is in the works.  My problem is that over the last year, I have gone from having occasional (I believe band related) heartburn to needing Previcid or Prilosec daily.  If I go without the PPI, I have a continual gnawing pain in my abdomen, odd sensation of hunger and burp a lot.  It's not horrible pain, but it is rather continuous. 

I've had an upper GI which shows gastritis, but nothing more specific.  My surgeon is now sending me for an esophogeal manometry study.  He feels that if this study shows poor motility, I would be better off with a RNY then a VSG.

I'm researched the VSG and feel it is the best choice for me--except this heartburn issue.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  I know heartburn/GERD can get worse after a sleeve, so I'm really having trouble making a decision. 

Thanks for input!

Crabadams72
on 7/8/12 3:01 am - Silver Spring, MD
I was diagnosed w Gerd during the pre op testing. I never had symptoms. I went w vsg although my pcp though I should go w RNY. I take protonix daily and have had no issues. Only you can decide but do far I have been fine.
wannabehealthy1
on 7/8/12 3:55 am, edited 7/8/12 3:55 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
I had GERD due to the lap band and was on prescription strength zantac for 7 years. I also had extensive testing done prior to getting the sleeve and was found to have gastritis. I stayed on nexium post-op after the sleeve for about 9 months. It is recommended for everyone for 3 months, but I needed it a bit longer. Now at 20 months, I have not had GERD again, except for when I try and eat too close to bedtime. I need to not eat for about 2 hrs prior to laying down. I do have some nexium on hand and if I get that heartburny feeling, I will take it for 3-5 days and then it goes away. Life is much better without the heartburn!! Good Luck!!
**Kathy**  Lap Band 2002~ 3 more surgeries r/t lap band complications
2009-Lap Band removal and unsuccessful revision to RNY

10/15/2010- SLEEVED FINALLY!! Hw=235, SW=222, CW=157, GW=145

lelagoddess
on 7/8/12 11:57 am, edited 8/2/12 7:15 am
Thanks for the responses!  I'm concerned because I don't think my surgeon wants to go ahead with the sleeve--and I'm torn between trusting him or my gut (pun intended LOL)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views