REVISION TO SLEEVE- SHOULD I DO IT??

Annac
on 7/9/12 2:53 pm - Royal Oak, MI
Hello All,

Just wanted your opinions...have the Lap Band and having complications. Thinking about doing the revision to the sleeve.  Just wanted to get your opinions. Would love to hear your story.

Thanks
Calking
on 7/9/12 5:24 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
I have been reading this forum for a few months and have seen many people on here do this revision.  In every case there has been some complication from the lapband or some issues with weight regain.

Also in every case they were very happy doing the revision.  They seem to indicate that they are doing so much better with the sleeve.

I didn't do the revision and only had one surgery ... the sleeve.  I have never been happier with that choice.  So personally, I can recommend this surgery for people needing a great tool in aiding their weight loss journey.  So many success stories.  

I haven't done this but perhaps if you did a search on this forum for the keyword "revision" you may get some positings about people doing the revision.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Bf516
on 7/9/12 9:12 pm
I'm currently banded & going for the sleeve.
I can't really tell you much since I'm preop.

However, I can tell you I want the sleeve for more weight loss.
My band has slipped & needs repaired but my surgeon doesn't like repairing band slips & prefers the sleeve.

There are some folks on here that I hope can help you.
band2sleeve_2012
on 7/9/12 9:48 pm
Do your research.  

I recommend the revision.  I've had it.  The sleeve is wonderful. 

Had the band. Never had restriction.  It slipped.  All pounds lost with band were regained.

In the first two months of the sleeve I lost everything I lost with the band and more.  And great appetite control. 

Good luck !

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

melly37
on 7/9/12 11:56 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I truly love my sleeve, and wish I had it from the beginning instead of the LapBand.  My life with the sleeve is exactly what I THOUGHT the Band was going to be like.  I can eat everything, but just small portions.  Since I CAN eat anything and never worry about getting stuck, sliming or PBing, I really have to put the work in myself to eat the RIGHT foods.  That goes with any WLS supposedly.....all I know is my Band would rarely allow me to eat healthy foods. Give it chips, cookies and candy all day, but the first bite of moist chicken or soft broccoli and there was trouble.  ARGH. 

Good luck!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Jillys59
on 7/10/12 1:55 am - IA
No doubt in my mind the sleeve is the way to go.. I had the band and it was removed last November..Had the sleeve June 4th....  You don't get stuck like you do with the band.. You just get full fast and can't eat much.. You still have to watch the slider foods with the sleeve but if you stick with protein first you arent hungry. My doctor told me us who had the band first have an easier time with the sleeve.  I have had no problems what so ever.. We already know to chew good, dont drink with your meals and take small bites.. You will be ahead of the game.

Good Luck to you!
Jill
Annac
on 7/10/12 2:59 am - Royal Oak, MI
THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS.   I APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT.
So I was just told that in order for me to do a revision I have to be at 40 bmi which puts me where I started, which is at 240. I'm slowly climbing up at 192 now.  I'm frustrated!!!
Really had my heart set to do the surgery and now I don't know what to do.

reneemosley
on 7/10/12 5:53 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
I had my band placed 5/06 and lost 30lbs in one year then it could no longer be filled. I too had all the problems with eating meats and vegetables, but could eat chips, cookies, crackers etc. I never had any slips or other classic band issues.  I gained the 30 back quickly and tried to loose weight by "dieting" for 5 years. 
I finally decided to have a revision whatever it took. I worked OT, sold my beloved classic car, and saaaaved to pay for it. 
I agree it is everyhting I thought the band would be. I have lost 55 lbs, and continue to lose slowly but steady. I feel better that I have in years. 

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views