Travel Advice Needed - 4 1/2 weeks post-op

Suzanne2012
on 7/9/12 11:43 pm
Hello everyone!  Just looking for a bit of advice from experienced sleevers out there...  I had my sleeve on June 27.  On July 29 we wll be leaving for a family vacation - road trip from Nebraska to visit family in Mississippi.  Tomorrow I start pureed foods.  Just wondering if anyone had any advice on travelling at that point in recovery.

Thanks!
acbbrown
on 7/9/12 11:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Get a nice sooler cooler/lunch bag, fill it with ice, and stock up on some soft foods. Not sure what you plan includes/will include at that point, but get lots of protein shakes, maybe cheese sticks if you can eat those, greek yogurt and cottage cheese singles that are easy to pack and store. 

For eating on the road, you might be able to do something like wendys chili, or taco bell has pintos and cheese. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

TonjaTLC
on 7/9/12 11:57 pm - Southlake, TX
 At every restroom  break walk walk walk:). I swell in the car.... My legs do... Have fun!!
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
vogue
on 7/10/12 12:02 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Im still pre-op but when I travel I take individual pkgs of chicken, tuna & salmon that come in the air tight pkgs... light, easy to open & take little room
michellemj
on 7/10/12 12:20 am
I went to a work conference around that time (and it required a 6hr flight...yikes). It did kick my butt and I was exhausted, but it was completely doable.

Pack plenty of protein shakes (either RTD or powder and a shaker that you can mix), greek yogurt, string cheese or mini babybels, and deli meat if your stomach can handle it.

At this point, you may be able to tolerate a few bites of Wendy's chili (literally, a few). I never tried Taco Bell pintos but plenty of people recommend. Otherwise, avoid any other fast food options.

and of course, hydrate like crazy. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

bluerskies
on 7/10/12 2:41 am
VSG on 06/25/12
 I'm glad you asked this.  I will be doing a road trip soon and I will be at the same stage then that you are now.  Helpful advice.  :)
 Jessica

Suzanne2012
on 7/10/12 7:04 am
Hey everyone! Thanks so much - lots of great ideas. We are visiting family and I know we will be going out to sit down dinners. My thoughts are protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. What are some good sit-down dinner options? I have told my two sons and husband that I am taking 1 bite from each of their plates (assuming it is something I can eat) so I don't have to order, as I assume that will fill me up! But I am looking for suggestions of what is good to order - my husband is great about it all and will order something I can eat. I am thinking fish, perhaps SOME mexican (beans and cheese?) - I know I should keep it moist. I have enjoyed soup at home in the liquid phase but we are going to MISSISSIPPI in AUGUST. I am not sure soup will be as appealing there. Thoughts? Thanks!

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/10/12 7:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The dietitian at my local program gave me some incredibly useful advice for eating out. Look at the WHOLE menu, not just the obvious. If it's anywhere, as part of any meal - it's in the kitchen and you can order it.

I'm not especially shy and would explain briefly to the waiter,"I'm recovering from gastric surgery and can only eat very soft food right now. I notice that the xxx comes with a side of xxx. Could I possibly order just that side dish?" People will generally bend over backward to help you when you're polite, appreciative and explain your need.

Also, you don't have to eat all of anything, just because it comes a certain way. For instance crab stuffed mushrooms - order them and only eat the filling. Appetizers sometimes have a part we can't have with something we can, like a cheesy dip or hummus. Order the appy and only eat the dip.

I hope you have a great visit with your family!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Suzanne2012
on 7/10/12 7:43 am
Love those ideas Kelly-Anne!  Wouldn't have thought of that - thanks!

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/10/12 7:47 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You're very welcome. Carlene was a fabulous resource and taught me some great ways to cope while traveling.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views