I need advice on this bread

Losin-it
on 7/15/12 12:04 am - TX
http://www.julianbakery.com/bread-product/carbzero-regular/

Each slice actually has Total Carbohydrate 9g (Non-Digestible -From Fiber). If there is such a thing. I'm assuming I couldn't eat more than 1/2 a sandwich anyway. Each piece of bread claims 9g protein and 59 calories.
I sure would hate to give up a good sandwich. I'm assuming I'll have to. But what do you folks think of this product for occasional use?

Carb-Zero-Bread-Regular
Surgery date = 6-25-2012   

USAF Wife
on 7/15/12 12:13 am
During weightloss phase, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, during maintenance, I eat regular 100% whole wheat bread.

Issue isn't eating it, issue is will it make you crave more, are you giving up protein and nutrient rich foods to eat a sandwich? That's what I consider when I'm eating stuff nowadays. If I want a sandwich, I eat one, but I'm way further out. And, bread isn't a trigger for me.

I used lettuce for crunch and made baked cheese crisps instead of bread. Was able to get in more protein due to bread being such a filler, and avoid all the carbs.

You can eat it, thhe real question is "Is this the best option for me and my body?"

Bread will be there when you're at goal. 
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

frisco
on 7/15/12 12:17 am

My personal opinion after going through this process.........

It looks like a great maintenance food........ I'd not do it during WL.......

Lose the weight first...... than re-introduce foods within a more forgiving maintenance phase......

Maintenance is where you find your new tolerances......

** I don't buy into the net carb thing.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 7/15/12 12:36 am
 I get that Frisco does not buy into the net carb thing, and I cannot discount that.  They both have valid points about maintence as well.  However, in my opinion it really depends on quantity and frequency.  If you can buy a loaf and freeze it, and just occasionally have a sandwich then I do not see any issue.  The protein to calorie ratio is great and it passes the nutritional sniff test.  I think that with any food you need to identify if it is a trigger food, and if it is avoid it.  If it can be handled with moderation then it is just fine.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Losin-it
on 7/15/12 12:48 am - TX
Great advice. During WL I think I'll do the wrap deal. This could be a trigger food for me. Gotta watch that.
Appreciate ya'll
happyteacher
on 7/15/12 1:28 am
 I use wraps as my form of bread on the relatively rare occasion I eat it.  Tumaro has a wrap out there that has 4 net carbs, 60 cals, 6 protien.  One whole tortilla is usually too much for one meal though.  I normally will put rotessierre chicken and a little veg in it, and a half with some fruit works well.  I only do this for lunches when I work though for a little variety here and there, as I am not really a sandwich person.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

rhearob
on 7/15/12 12:49 am - TN
 You don't need to be eating bread period.

Don't fall into the net carbs BS.  Not all fiber is non-digestible.  There are two types of fiber - some can break down and be absorbed as calories.  Besides that Carbs tend to cause cravings.

Do the math, you are going to spend 1 tenth of your daily calorie budget on 9g of protein?  For 60 calories you could eat 2 ounces of chicken and get 13 g of protein.

Besides, at as far out as you are, bread should be the last thing you are planning to eat.  Make it to solids first.  You won't have room for a sandwich for some time yet.  There are people I know 10 years out who can only eat half a sandwich.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

califsleevin
on 7/15/12 12:54 am - CA
Some wouid call that a Frankenfood, though they usually use that in reference to low fat foods but it applies equally well to any food that is promoted as being contrary to its' basic character, whether it be no carb bread or no fat ice cream or butter - some serious manipulations are going on to make those claims.

There is no reason that you have to give up a good sandwich, unless you doc's program severely limits your carbs; low carbing, while fashionable today, is not essential to sleeve success or weight loss in general. Indeed, I found it very useful as a source of complex carbs to better fuel my endurance workouts, helping to burn more calories than a low carb/ketosis diet ever could. A common bit of nutrition science advice is to precede a workout (by an hour or so) with a meal/snack that is moderately high in complex carbs, moderate in protein and low to moderate in fat. A slice of whole grain bread along with a slice or two of meat and cheese worked just fine for me, providing endurance beyond the hour mark when I would otherwise be thrashed.

Some may find that eating bread or some other carb triggers them to scarfing a box of twinkies - if you fall into that category, then you need to address that issue, but otherwise you can have it for its nutritional value once you are easily meeting your protein goals. Yes, bread by itself often fosters additional hunger as its' sataity is short term - this is why restaurants serve you bread as soon as you sit down, as it promotes sales of appetizers and bigger entrees. But a combination carbs with fat and protein provides optimum long term sataity with the carbs triggering earlier sataity signals to the brain than straight protein provides, while the fats and proteins provide the longer term sataity for which they are known.

Short answer here is that I, too, wouldn't touch this stuff, either, but not for the same reasons as others. If I want bread, I want it specifically for the nutritional value of the complex carbs that it provides (and no, that's not a "carb addiction" - if I don't need it for its specific energy value, I have no particular interest or craving for it. It's just another food with specific nutritional values that are useful at times.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

frisco
on 7/15/12 1:16 am, edited 7/15/12 1:30 am

It is also my opinion that "Moderation" is not a WL term.......

Moderation never worked before WLS.... Well, I guess it did..... It meant a half a bag of cookies instead of the whole thing....... One serving of Pasta..... not two......

I still don't buy bread on any kind of regular basis..... I do keep Lavash Flatbread in the freezer for the occasional less than 10 carb Pizza meal.

Now..... In maintenance...... I save my bread eating for restaurants, when that killer bread comes to the table and a nice Olive Oil infused dip....... or a nice butter spread.......

frisco

This was my lunch the other day.........Didn't miss the bread one bit.....

Tacos

Chicken Salad on Cucumber Chips

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

stephintexas
on 7/15/12 2:30 am
Great, now I'm hunnnnngrrryy!!! lol

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views