Small leak and stents - please share your story

Heidi P.
on 7/26/12 9:59 am - St Paul, MN
VSG on 06/27/12
Hi all -

I felt chest pains the other day so I called the surgeons office and they sent me to the hospital for a chest/abdomen CT scan.  After finding tiny air bubbles in my liver and around the outside of my sleeve, I was asked to stay in the hospital as they run more tests.  Long story short, I had an upper GI xray test and it showed a really small leak. 

At first, the doctor was going to just keep me for a week and observe, but changed his mind and decided he wanted to put a stent in my sleeve.  So here I sit in the hospital, waiting for the stent to come in.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  If so, would you be so kind to share?

Thanks in advance!

HW (May 20, 2012) 310 SW (June 27, 2012) 302 GW 175 
M1=29lbs M2=29lbs M3=5lbs M4=4lbs M5=11lbs M6=10lbs
LEAKY SLEEVE DISCOVERED - July 25, 2012. 

Pobearsam7
on 7/26/12 10:08 am
Wow!!! I'm glad they caught that !!!!! That is good you were able to pick up a sign something was not right.... You and I share the same vsg date... I'll keep u in my prayers

Kelly                

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/26/12 10:36 am
Glad you caught it so early!!!

I didn't have this issue, but I remember my surgeon talking with me about what he would do in the event of a leak (he's only had one). He said he would probably put a stent in... and then inject botox near the pyloric valve to relax it which would keep it open so everything slid right through... thereby keeping any internal pressure from building in the sleeve... allowing the leak to heal faster with the stent.

Best of luck!!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Wiasbeck
on 7/26/12 11:07 am - NV
I dont have anything experience to share, but wanted to wish you well. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Pre-op -7.8, M1 -21.4, M2 -18.4, M3 -?

m      
TSinNC
on 7/26/12 11:42 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I don't have any info either, but wanted to send you some good wishes.
INgirl
on 7/26/12 11:59 am
Sending you some positive vibes, and in all my time reading on here- everyone that had a leak, eventually heals up and goes on to get healthy and happy!
justeric78
on 7/26/12 12:32 pm - Houston, TX
I had a leak with stents. I was nothing by mouth for a few months and had a PIC line placed to be fed via a bag. It was miserable but it got much better. It will be uncomfortable but you will come out okay. Just keep telling yourself that. I feel I needed to have the problems I did to get the kick in the pants I needed. It will be okay and it does get better, I promise.

novascotiadawn
on 7/26/12 2:17 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It was hell!!!...They placed a stent in and it migrated to my chest two days later! They thought I was full of **** Well, I was due to go home after 2 months that week, and that day, I said!!...Jeff!! You can't send me home! It's in my chest. I couldn't lay down without puking an emesis basin full of liquid and blood for a week! He ordered an xray and low and behold there it be!!! This was Saturday... I had to wait till Monday evening, and it only happened because I finally broke down crying!!..My family thought that was it for me...Lights out.. I was thinking it too. They finally saw emotions!! It was taken out and when out of recovery, I felt like a million bucks..Minus the leak!!..LOL..

Take care my friend..

A leak is a leak...Them calling it a small one must make them feel better or something!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Heidi P.
on 7/27/12 1:26 am - St Paul, MN
VSG on 06/27/12
Thanks for all your responses. I just got word that I will ne reoperated on to drain the stuff thats leaked because the antibiotics arent working. hopefully the stent will be in in time for this ooeration so i dont have to have another on monday. I have a picc line, too. Im sure I will get through this, nut what a pain!! I feel like hell.
novascotiadawn
on 7/27/12 4:00 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You will get through it Heidi.... It's the strong that the powerful man above picks to go through this adventure!! Ask them about placing a Jackson Pratt around the leak and it will drain through there if it doesn't abscess. Just a thought!..

Hugs and loves strong one!!

Message anytime if you like!

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Most Active