Protein powder...I need help!

chocolateeri
on 7/26/12 1:34 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 ok, so I went to the store today and bought what I need to start my pre-op diet on 8/1. The list said I could have EAS protein shakes,  they come 4 in a pack, but I am doing this diet for 14 days! those packs are $5-$6 each! So I decided it would be cheaper to get the powder. I didn't get the same brand though. I bought  body fortress super advanced whey isolate (because I am lactose intolerant). It has 30g of ultra pure protein for 1 scoop.  1 scoop is 130 calories and less than 1g sugar and less than 1g carbs. Is this ok? Has anybody tried this? How much protein does everyone typically get in a day pre-op and post op? I will probably call the dietician tomorrow to be sure this is ok. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

moonglo82
on 7/26/12 1:39 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Always check with your nut/surgeon about any changes you want to make in your diet for pre or post op.

Having said that, nutritionally speaking, Body Fortress is a pretty good brand.

Protein can get expensive, but when that's all you're getting in, as it pretty much will be for a while post op, it suddenly becomes more affordable because you're not spending as much on other foods

To answer your question about how much protein, preop I didn't have the same diet you do, so my info wouldn't really help... but I was eating low carb high protein for my preop, so I was probably getting in at least 80 grams of protein a day. Now I get in 80-100 grams of protein a day, and 30 of those are usually from a protein shake.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jack_Fabulous
on 7/26/12 1:55 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
So long as you like the taste, I think it is fine.  I use Premier Protien and it is 160 cal with 30G of protein and very low sugar. 

Calking
on 7/26/12 2:35 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
 These are the guidelines from my nutritionist:

1) Whey Protein Isolate
2) Less than or equal to 5g fat
3) Less than or equal to 5 carbs

That being said they actually sold me a two week supply of Optifast 800 pre-made shakes 3 per day and Optifast 800 protein bars - 2 per day.  I had a shake for breakfast, a protein bar snack, a shake for lunch, a protein bar snack, and a shake for dinner.  This gave me 100 carbs a day at about 800 calories all said and done.  I was allowed sf jello, popsicles, celery, or cucumbers if I was feeling super hungry.  

That being said all nutritionists and surgeons have different plans and you should check anything you do with them for an OK and a go ahead.  No sense in destroying your chances with your surgeon before you even really get started.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/26/12 10:57 pm
Yeah, the premade shakes are expensive! I use the body fortress brand and I find it to be ok. I prefer Syntrax Nectars, but the body fortress is cheaper (a little gritty but not bad).

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ambercarr
on 7/27/12 6:26 am - OH
This is exactly what I use for my protein.  I am 8 months out and I am the first one to admit that I have not gotten in my daily required protein in and I have paid for it.  I have lost 75% of my hair (luck for me I had a ton to begin with).  I have tried tons and tons of different protein shakes and tried to make them with different ways and tried adding stuff to it and I couldn't hold any of it down.  The only one I could get down and hold down was the premier choc RTD shakes.  I was miserable for a few hours but could get it down.  Last week I decided to give it another shot and try another way.  I got out my husbands Body Fortress whey isolate out and dumped a scoop into a 10 oz cup.  I then added maybe two ounces of warm water to it.  Mix and Mix until all clumps are gone.  Then in a separate cup warm up another 6-8 oz of water in the microwave for 2 min (or use a kettle).  Then dump the ho****er into the cup with the powder mix in it.    Totally good!  I can drink it, hold it down and not have any problems after wards.  It taste like a hot choc.  Just make sure to not mix the powder into ho****er.  The powder will clump and not mix.  Today I was at the gas station getting a pop and I noticed they had a bunch of those flavored coffee creamer containers.  They had the Carmel flavored one...so, I decided to take one and add it to my hot protein shake and it was delicious!  I have a ton of different flavored protein powders and I am going to give them a shot and try making them hot.  Good luck!
chocolateeri
on 7/27/12 10:09 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Thanks everyone for the info. I could not reach the nutritionist today. Will call Monday. But I haven't opened it yet, so I can take it back if its an issue, but it sounds like it won't be. Thanks again!
lovingme2013
on 6/14/13 7:29 am - Las Vegas, NV
VSG on 06/25/13
Hello I'm looking for information on Body Fortress super advanced whey isolate did u continue to use the product I have VSG COMING UP 6/25/13 PEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKED
carebear32958
on 7/27/12 4:02 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
My surgeon put me on a low carb high protein diet, he wants me to get at least 80 g protein a day, which is a challenge since I'm not a huge meat fan....  I supplement with 2-3 protein shakes a day. I have one that is from GNC that is 93 cals, 2.5 g carbs and less than 1 g sugars and 20 g protein.  its AMP wheybolic extreme.   I have been trying to find decent protein powders that don't push my caloric intake way over! LOL, My next one will probably be the Isopure unflavored.  Do yourself a favor and try mixing it up when you take it, I got to the point where I was soo over chocolate flavored anything drinking 2 choc shakes a day...lol...I know I know, blasphemy :)  Where did you fine body fortress?  I haven't seen that anywhere around me... ( oh and something I learned from shopping the protein powders, check the serving size, I find quite a few of them list a serving as 2 or 3 scoops! I don't know anyone who will use that much in one shot :/)
MrsD2000
on 7/29/12 8:45 am
VSG on 07/30/12
 They sell it at Walmart you can also buy it online on the Walmart website

Most Active