Lightheadness first thing in the morning upon rising

pcannedy
on 7/27/12 3:00 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi, Anyone have this problem?  Low blood pressure or low sugar?

goingforit1
on 7/27/12 4:00 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
low blood pressure. sit up in bed and sit there for several seconds before actually rising off the bed. It's a challenge to take things slower but it helps!
pcannedy
on 7/28/12 12:28 am - Sacramento, CA
Yes, but usually have to head to the bathroom.    This morning i had some snapple juice cranberry/raspberry, drank a little then was ok.  Could be blood sugar being low.  Thanks for the posting.... 

USAF Wife
on 7/27/12 9:14 pm
Orthostatic hypotension (google it)

I have had it for 2.5 years at this point. It's worse for me in pregnancy. But, seek medical attention if it continues because it can be a combination of other issues.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

pcannedy
on 7/28/12 12:41 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks.  What did they do for yours?  I had some snapple juice drink, its low cal; had some last night and drank some this morning; the lightheadness was much better.  I was diabetic before surgery.  I did google it, interesting. 

I have a physical scheduled for Tuesday.

Thanks for the posting.

USAF Wife
on 7/28/12 12:50 am
On July 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, pcannedy wrote:
Thanks.  What did they do for yours?  I had some snapple juice drink, its low cal; had some last night and drank some this morning; the lightheadness was much better.  I was diabetic before surgery.  I did google it, interesting. 

I have a physical scheduled for Tuesday.

Thanks for the posting.
Nothing honestly.

I had labs pulled, and admittedly I had cut sodium intake pretty drastically, my sodium was a tad low on labs, and went through a cardiac exam with zero findings.

I was instructed to increase fluid intake, STOP cutting salt, and to increase activity. I was already getting into maintenance, my carb intake was double what it was in my losing stage so my carbs were not responsible for it. I had to wiggly my legs before getting out of bed or from the recliner.

How they diagnosed it:
Take my BP while laying down
Have me sit up quickly, take BP again- both numbers dropped rapidly
Have me rest in the sitting up position for 10 minutes or so, rechecked BP - normal numbers
Have me stand quickly- Take BP major drop in numbers.

How it was explained to me from my PCM and surgeon:

The receptors for BP are in our neck. With blood pooling in the legs due to being reclined or laying down, our bodies can not adjust quick enough with the rapid change in our weight and quick movements.

It resolved with the increased sodium intake (recommended intake is 1500mg to 2400mg), I was probably getting in less than 1000mg because I was being a bat**** crazy chick abou****er weight.

I have more syncope episodes in pregnancy because of the demands of pregnancy, and the body fluid increase along with a huge belly bump again. Also, my BP in pregnancy is around 90/55, sometimes it's as low as 80s/45. This last checkup on Thursday it was 103/52 which made my OB happy.

Lots of fluids really do help. I drink on average of 100oz of clear fluids per day in addition to coffee. So, I'm well hydrated, but the baby pulls so much from me, and I'm now in the 3rd trimester so everything is doubling in growth rates and fluid retention.

pcannedy
on 7/28/12 12:56 am - Sacramento, CA
Congrats on the baby.  Do you know if its a girl or boy?  I will up the salt.  I think that is why I was eating Stacy's Pita chips and gained...  I only eat them occassionally now....  But it was salt that I wanted.  I am having my physical Tues, and will do the labs for the 2 yr Wls too.  About 30 test.

Thanks.

USAF Wife
on 7/28/12 12:59 am
Thanks. . . This one is a boy, I delivered Tatum last October and Ashton is due just 2 weeks before her 1st birthday. I've had the fainting/lightheadedness in both pregnancies. But, nothing that can't be managed.

Good luck on your 2yr check up

pcannedy
on 7/28/12 1:08 am - Sacramento, CA
Oh, how wonderful.  Congrats on your lovely family!  I just had some Trader Joe's 99% fat free ham, it is a little highter in sodium.  i ususally don't eat till after coffee about 11 a.m., so now I will try to eat a little earlier..  Have a good day...

jubjub
on 7/27/12 9:58 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I've done a little research on this (Orthostatic Hypotension) with respect to diets.

One possible cause is this... if you're keeping your carbs pretty low, your body will flush sodium from your system.  If that happens you can end up with orthostatic hypotension.  Several books I've read recently suggest upping your sodium intake (salt) to deal with the issue.  There's little harm and some benefit if you're low-carbing.  In fact it can restore balance to you potassium/sodium mix.

References: Why We Get Fat (Gary Taubes), The Art and Science of Low-Carb Living (Phinney and Volek)

I've upped mine by salting my food a bit more heavily and it seems to help.

Here's a good article:

http://www.nemechekconsultativemedicine.com/?page_id=1314 

Snip:
" OH can get substantially better after increasing the amount of salt and decreasing the carbohydrate intake in your diet.  Salt increases your blood volume and makes it easier to maintain adequate blood flow o the brain.  The reduced carbohydrate intake allows your autonomic nervous system to recover and more properly control blood flow to the brain. "

and

"A Simple Test to See if You Have Orthostatic Hypotension

A simple way to check to see if your lightheadedness, fatigue, mental fogginess or headaches are from low blood pressure to the brain is to increase the blood pressure to the brain.  You can do this simply by increasing the salt in your diet.  Salt has a magical property called osmotic pressure that pulls fluid into the blood vessels.

More fluid in blood vessels makes it easier for your heart and blood vessels to provide the proper amount of pressure and blood flow to the brain.  Proper blood flow to the brain will allow the brain to function better and should result in a decrease or disappearance of your symptoms if they are due to poor blood flow.

With all the talk by the health officials about the necessity of eating a low salt (sodium) diet, you might be concerned with increasing your salt intake.  Don’t worry, it’s not dangerous for a few weeks.  Only person’s with uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart failure or kidney disease should talk with their physician before adding salt to there diet.

Follow these instructions to see if your symptoms are from low blood flow to the brain:

1. Purchase several cans of chicken stock from the market.  Chicken stock is full of salt (otherwise known as sodium).  Be sure not to buy the “Low Sodium" brands.
  2. Drink a cup of chicken stock (heat it up a little to improve the taste) in the morning and around midday.  This will give you body enough extra blood volume to improve the blood flow to your brain.
  3. If you find you are fatigued or sleepy shortly after dinner, you may want to have an additional cup then too or even with dinner.
  4. Within a few days you should notice a significant improvement in your symptoms.
  5. If your symptoms improved, then you can be reasonably sure your symptoms are from low blood flow to the brain.  I would suggest you see your primary care physician about this if you haven’t already.  Sometimes things such as low red blood cell counts (anemia), dehydration or heart rhythm problems can cause similar symptoms."

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active