Can I request a pep talk please?

Michelle10929
on 8/1/12 3:44 am, edited 8/1/12 3:46 am - NC
I'm 8wks post op, and this is just getting a little too easy. This is getting so easy that I'm starting to feel like a failure already. Granted, I am in a serious 3wk long stall.. so that is not helping my attitude at all.

1- Everything goes down easily. I have zero issues with any foods. Which I feel like is a bit of a curse here.
2- I don't feel a lot of restriction. I'm eating the right foods, but I feel like I'm eating to much of it. I am logging everything and on average I'm about 70-100 grams of protein a day, and 600-900 calories a day. On the 900 days I just feel like a total failure.

Myfitnesspal screen name is eponine365 if anyone wants to friend me on there. I may need some help and guidance to see where I may be able to cut back.

I am getting in my protein, I'm probably double on my fluids I drink so much. The only negative things I have knowingly done is had two bites of my daughters bday cake, and I have allowed myself to have a cup of coffee about 3x a week. And my workout routine was 3 days of cardio, but now that I'm cleared I'm doing 3 days of cardio and weights. So 1hr of cardio then 1hr of weight training 3x a week. Oh, and after working out I just have this feeling of being SO hungry! I just want to go home and EAT! I usually go home and eat a cold turkey burger. Its become my quickie go to food of choice.

I'm making this sound like a whine about my stall.. Its not a whine about the stall at all. I am scared that I just thought that food wouldn't be this easy. I don't feel like I have a very powerful tool so soon post op.

I'm thinking about maybe making an appt with the NUT and just talk this all out. Or is this normal on the first stall to feel like you're doing something wrong???

angiagee
on 8/1/12 4:04 am
VSG on 09/11/12
OK so I totally cant give you much help here considering I am not having surgery until september 11th.. however i have done a ton of research and from the sounds of it you are doing everything right.. maybe cut your protein down to about 60-80 grams a day.. and drinking water shouldnt be causing any issues.
Your working out so that is awesome.. and maybe cut coffee out.. I am not sure about coffee at all.

This is totally my fear so I completely understand.. I would call your surgeons nurse or dietiction and talk this all out with them and see what they think.. but from the sounds of it you are doing great and you should really just keep going as you have.. your stall will come to a halt and you will probably drop 10lbs in one week or something!!!! :)

Hope it gets better for you!!! I am rooting for you! :)
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/1/12 4:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I sent you a friend request on MFP.

It sounds to me like you're doing fabulously. Personally, I'm cleared for coffee and have a couple of cups every day. I haven't had any sweets, but one of the reasons I chose VSG was so I could have a taste of a grandchild's birthday cake down the road. (1st grand baby is due in January)

My Fred is generally a pretty happy little partner as long as I watch portion size. He hates tap water, loves hot drinks, is not impressed by me eating more than about 1/2 cup of denser foods, but is good with as much as a cup of blueberries or yogurt.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Shagdoll
on 8/1/12 4:13 am, edited 8/1/12 4:13 am
Hi there,

I will do my best on this since I'm not a vet.

I think it's great that you are getting in that much protein. I tend to lose a bit faster when I up my protein from 60-70 grams to 80-90 grams. I don't think the coffee is hurting you unless you are using a lot of milk & sugar. I put almond milk, splenda, & sugar free flavored syrups in mine and I know a lot of successful VSGers who do the same.
In regards to your restriction, are you still eating soft foods? Cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna, etc will go down a lot easier for some VSGers. I was cleared to eat dense protein like chicken & beef at 8 weeks. That might help you eat less and get satisfied sooner.
You are starting off with a decent amount of cardio IMHO. Definitely keep that up!
The stalls are annoying as hell but if you stick to your diet plan, the scale will move in the right direction again.

Good luck gurl!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/12 4:19 am
Personally, I think you are doing just fine, but let's tune things up a bit.  I would keep the protein up at the same levels you are doing now, but decrease your calories.  This early out, I would still aim closer to 600 calories a day.  I would do this by making sure that every single meal starts with lean, homemade protein--about 2-3 ounces worth, and a few bites of veggies.  The coffee is not a problem and is not slowing anything down.  Try working with your pyloric valve by only eating dense protein and fibrous, low carb veggies for a week or two and see what happens.  This is what I would do in your situation.
Michelle10929
on 8/1/12 4:30 am - NC
Ok, I've been cleared for diet/exercise.. no restrictions per my surgeon.

So, I have been eating what I want, and actually feeling less restriction than when I was in soft foods and just eating hummus, beans, or eggs.

One thing I am doing that I think is sometimes bad (and you'll see these weird entries on MFP) is that I allow myself to eat the catered lunches here at work. I feel like there is a smart choice that I can make in there every day. Like today, I opened up a turkey wrap and ate the insides which was just turkey, cheese, and fresh basil. Some days I'll pick the egg slices and chicken breast off the top of a salad and eat it. Italian day was bad though.. I went for the smart choice of chicken but it was baked all in butter. So in the end... Not so smart :(

So, I'm thinking maybe I should totally not even allow that as a choice and just pack my own. That way I always know there is a good choice regardless of what pops up here for lunch.

I think overall I'm just stressing that I'm amazed how much food I can actually put in my dang mouth before I feel any restriction. It frustrates me. But, I refuse to allow a failure. I have the tool, it may not be as strong as I thought it was going to be but I'll be damned.. failure is not an option here! LOL

PS.. My cardio is ADDICTIVE! Its a cardio funk class and I look at my girls (ages 11 and 12) and say "Ready to go clubbin' ladies?" haha. They LOVE this class too! And I met with a personal trainer so I feel like I have some direction on the weights now.

frisco
on 8/1/12 4:50 am

I think your doing fine with the catered food if you watch a few things.....

First catered food= Free Food !!!! and Easy....... and Proper if you follow what you have been doing.

Yes.... bringing your own food on most days would be a better.......

Portions, portions, portions.......

Eat the meats first...... if your going to eat at work..... go on eBay and find yourself a pocket size digital scale...... (like $25) and keep it in your bag or desk.......at 8 weeks..... 1-2oz.

Don't look for full or restriction..... eat fixed/measured amounts of food.....satisfaction/satiety is the key.....

Make it easier on yourself..... it really is pretty basic and very easy.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

emelar
on 8/1/12 4:41 am - TX
I'm going to repeat something that's been said on here many times, and needs to be said many more - don't try eating until you're "full."  Measure a portion out, eat it slowly, stop eating before you fini**** if you feel full, but eat no more than you measured out.  At 2 months out, you should be in the 2- 3 oz range.  The full signal is often delayed by 5-15 minutes.

Feeling hungry after a workout is pretty normal and on that one, I'd listen to my body.  Give it something.

Calorie range - it all depends on whether you're trying to hit goal as fast as possible or you're willing to take a little delay.  Right now, you've got fat to burn.  The bigger the calorie deficit you create every day, the faster you'll lose.  But you're going to lose on 900 a day.  You'll lose on 1200 a day.  Again, how fast do you want to reach the finish line?
Jaybee766
on 8/1/12 4:52 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Ditto to Emelar!

You're doing great.  It's fantastic that you're logging your food.  I'll send a friend request too.

Hang in there. YOU"RE DOING IT!!!!
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

loverofcats
on 8/1/12 4:54 am, edited 8/1/12 4:56 am
You have received some very good suggestions. I would just add, that you would have more control over your food, both in content and portion size, if you brought your own food to work. That way, you could measure out a 2-3 ounce portion and know that it was the correct amount and what ingredients the food contained.

Allow for a protein shake after working out. Your muscles are the most receptive to nutrients in the first 30-60 minutes after a workout. This way, you can help to promote the retention of your lean muscle mass. Keep your protein between 80-100 grams/day, because of the weight training and exercise.

It is great that you are logging your food. Don't ever stop doing that.

It may also be helpful to speak with the dietician in your program

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active