Trying to decide if I should change my ticker

sunnymicki
on 8/6/12 12:40 am
So I'm within two pounds (!) of my weight goal and body fat percentage.  But I have recently decided to aim for a much leaner figure, think more of what you see on an endurance athlete.  I don't quite know what my weight will be at that point, because I want more lean mass as well.

Part of me wants to just keep reducing my goal weight until I'm really truly done.  But a big part of me wants to acknowledge that I DID do exactly what I set out to do on this journey last Sept 26!  And just keep losing past goal weight as I refine my figure.

What do you all think?

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/12 12:51 am
First, I want to commend you for deciding to go lower.  I think that in many instances, it's a great decision.  I say, celebrate reaching this goal, and then set a new goal.  Once you reach that goal, don't forget to set a new goal again.  At that point, make it a maintenance goal, such as staying in a certain window for a certain amount of time, or an exercise goal, such are running so many miles in so many minutes, or something else that is measurable.  Celebrate each gaol as you reach it.  This journey does not have an end point, just more goals to always reach for and accomplish.  If you have this mind set, you will never regain and you will remain successful for life.  Good luck on reaching your first goal, and then your second, and so on....
sunnymicki
on 8/6/12 2:20 am
Back in April, when I decided to start training for a half marathon, it was because I realized that if the scale was my main goal, I was going to burn out much sooner than later.

And focusing on my fitness has really worked for me; in fact, it has opened my world up in a way that I couldn't even imagine pre-op.  The reason I want the lean figure is to make it even easier to do things like run long distances and rock climb.

I completely agree on the journey not having an end point.  I think that is why I'm reluctant to chase my ticker anymore...because I feel like it is a chase that is losing its meaning.  My goals are different now. 
I think I just want the ticker to note that the first part of the journey - the massive weight loss - has been accomplished - and what I am moving onto is not really represented by a weight loss ticker.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Shagdoll
on 8/6/12 1:22 am
I love what Elina says. I'm actually very close to my original goal but I know I want to go lower. So I say reach that 1st goal and then aim for your next goal too. Good luck to the both of us!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

JenSchroed
on 8/6/12 1:30 am
I am 15 lbs lower than my goal . . .should I change mine too?
On the journey to something new . . .     

INgirl
on 8/6/12 1:37 am
Congrats!!

Seeing a visual acknowledgment of achieving what you set out to do is a pretty good motivator at times (and putting it out there for others to see too!) I get that.. 

I kept my original goal ticker up for a while after I got to what I'm calling "goal #1" now (my 155, normal weight etc goal..) I told myself I wanted to hit 145, got to that on that ticker.. really enjoyed seeing "11lbs below goal!" on it for a while, then made a new ticker that kinda reflects where I want to be in maintenance- 135-145.. the high/low range at my current body make-up.

Been bouncing right up above that 145 line for the moment, so I don't have any clue what "weight" my body will settle on as I get things more fine tuned weigh****er/muscle wise.. but I can't find a ticker for BF% - that's what I'd love to use- I'm aiming for about 5% less than where I am now!.. and that's going to take me a while to work at it, so that's my current "goal".. just fine-tuning what I got, and adding muscle. In the mean time, I have this little 10lb ticker spread I get to play with, moving it up and down as my body shifts.. the range may need to be adjusted again at some point, but for now- it's an educated guess that I'll land somewhere in this range when all is said and done. 

So, keep your original ticker for a while, enjoy seeing it go past your original goal.. then if you want to make another to reflect your next focus- go for it! I love seeing tickers go below goal personally, it makes me happy to think- Here's a person that said, I'd love it if I got to XYZ, and they got there, and surpassed their own expectations! That's pretty cool in my book. 

sunnymicki
on 8/6/12 2:24 am
I agree - I like to see the tickers that say "X below goal."  I wouldn't mind having one of those :)

I'm tracking body fat % as well.  I'm pretty sure I've seen someone here that has a body fat ticker, but I don't remember who.  More than anything I'm working on building my aerobic capacity.  It truly sucked when I started, and now it sucks just a little less :)  but it is something I can see real progress with, and has the added bonus of being excellent for body fat reduction.

Most Active