What's up with my breath??

katmom_02
on 8/9/12 9:51 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13
I have been VERY strict with my diet since Monday of this week. Protein shake for breakfast, half a protein bar for a snack, protein shake for lunch, and a sensible, low carb, dinner.  Oh, and lots and lots of water in between. Well starting yesterday I have noticed that my freaking breath smells bad...well not normal anyway. I am trying to 'prepare' myself for my pre-op diet...and it's a good thing too...protein shakes are definitely an acquired taste (I'm getting there). I'm going to pick up some SF pudding mix to try throwing in...I tried adding the caramel SF syrup and that made it nearly inedible (or drinkable, as the case may be).

ALSO....I have FINALLY gotten my oversized behind back into the gym. Oh, I hurt so bad. Hard to believe that in a couple of months I will be craving this kind of hurt....

---I find that when it's about time for dinner I am NOT hungry, and I think that is AWESOME!!

rhearob
on 8/9/12 10:22 am - TN
 It's called Ketosis.  It's proof that you are doing right.

Ketosis is the state where your body is breaking down fat for fuel instead of using sugar.  In many people it enhances body odor and bad breath.  

Like the hair loss, you just gotta deal with it.  It may settle down after a while, it may not.  Some people don't experience it as bad once they are on solid foods and well clear of shakes.

try carrying some sugar free breath mints like the listening strips or Altoids.  You may need to change deodorants too.  Many women report Secret works well for them.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Sutterbos
on 8/9/12 10:23 am
VSG on 06/21/12
Most likely ketones on your breath.  When you eliminate carbs and up your protein, the body has no choice but to burn fat for energy.  When you burn a lot of fat, you go into ketosis and the side effect is nasty breath.  

It's a bummer, but it's a sign of good things happening!  You are burning fat!  

Breath mints help, listerine strips, someone said chew on fresh parsley, but I've never tried that one.

If you really can't stand it, the only cure is to up your carbs again.  You'll slow your weight loss, but some people just can't stand the bad breath and are willing to make the trade off.

Great work getting into the gym!! 

Leiahaiel
on 8/9/12 10:28 am
VSG on 06/11/12
Maybe it's because you're not eating as often as usual?  I notice that when my husband goes throughout his work day and has ate next to nothing his breath is almost unbearable. If you spend less time with something in your mouth I would assume this could happen. There may be other medical reasons, but that's just something I've noticed. Try changing toothpaste, or gargling in the morning, or even after meals.

Italian-Princess
on 8/9/12 11:38 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Katmom

Good for you with the pre-emptive strike for the pre-op diet.  I didn't have a pre-op diet, but I did start the high protein, high fluids, low carb thing about a week and a half prior to my surgery.  I believe it helped in many ways.

For the breath.........not much helps.  Mine gets so bad that I've wondered when the EPA is going to knock on my door and fine me for polluting the air!

I brush my teeth a lot......5-6 times a day.  My dentist will love that when I see him next!  SF mints do help me a little -- for a short time.  I'm only 6 weeks out today, so still getting into the soft foods/mushies stage.  I'm hoping this breath stuff improves the more real foods I can eat.

Proud of you for getting back to the gym.  Walking isn't something I could do much of because of severe arthritis in my back, but I was just cleared for light exercising a week and a half ago -- it feels so good to be back in the gym and move more actively again!

You are smart to try to acquire as much knowledge pre-op as you can.  

Keep us posted when you get your sleeve............this is a great place to get encouragement and support.  Good Luck.

Ree 
dr_spatula
on 8/9/12 12:16 pm
VSG on 07/27/12
Good luck with this! Ketosis is a funny (albeit stinky) process. I found that rinsing with Kiss My Face peppermint mouthwash at night helps cut down on the dragon breath, as well as helps with protein residue on my teeth during the day. And, like Rob stated, even sweat smells different...may be taking up on the deodorant change.

WTG for your pre-pre-op diet!!

PoohHag
on 8/9/12 1:05 pm - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 Definitely ketosis.  Drink more water and brush your teeth more often.

My breath didn't change as much as my armpits did.  Many of us have to change deodorants and some even have to go to the clinical strength versions.

My urine smell changed as well as my privates.  All signs of ketosis.  We're stinky fat-burning people!
ajporter14
on 8/9/12 9:06 pm - gainesville , FL
 I have the same problem! I think its the protein! 
Most Active