OT - Okay...who wants some?

Desari63
on 8/11/12 7:36 am, edited 8/11/12 8:17 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
Being Italian and all, it's really hard to make spaghetti for just 2 people since we tend to have really big families. So I'm making homemade spaghetti sauce for the ricotta bake..I think I'm gonna have plenty left over for about 20 of them...LOL!

Any takers!? If you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I'll gladly share..you just have to come get it. OH..and whoever invented the ricotta bake should be a freaking millionaire!! This stuff is GREAT!!!!

Carry on my OH buddies!!!

Barbara McKeown

Italian-Princess
on 8/11/12 9:59 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Barb

I'm Italian, too.........we don't know how to cook for fewer than 35 people! 

What I've done is make my basic spaghetti gravy then divide it into two pots - one larger, one smaller.  The larger pot I season as for regular spaghetti and the smaller as for pizza.  Then I freeze it into portions.  When I make my Italian turkey meatballs, I use the regular spaghetti gravy......in fact, I use that for most things that require some kind of tomato based sauce.  The pizza sauce goes on my turkey burgers with some mozza shreds and fresh minced basil.  One burger makes two meals for me, but no problem -- I like left overs LOL

Also make pasta for the husband or when entertaining..........and Italian bread pizzas for him, too.  Everyone gets to enjoy that way.

I agree about that ricotta bake -- it's really much like the filling for manicotti, just without the meat and Parmesan cheese.  I've browned some extra lean ground turkey and added it to the ricotta with a bit of the parm, too -- so YUMMMM!!

If you're ever in the Northwestern suburbs of Chicago, let me know -- we can swap jars of our sauces!!!

Ciao for now

Ree

Desari63
on 8/11/12 12:54 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
Do you make your from scratch with the tomatoes and everything? I just experimented one day with mixing things together and wow!!! spaghetti sauce that wil knock your socks off...

I will be going to Rochester, NY Labor Day weekend for about 10 days..wish I had the time to make a cross trip to see ya and bring you a jar and see what you think. I just finished making a quad batch of Ricotta bake and there was a little of the sauce left over so I'll make some pasta for the hubby and let him have that but he love the ricotta bake as much as I do...

Barbara McKeown

Italian-Princess
on 8/11/12 1:13 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Yes, I make mine from scratch -- at least in the summer.  I admit to having to add a pinch of sugar sometimes because the tomatoes get very acidic -- must be my soil.  When I don't have my own tomatoes, I'll get some from the farmer's cart one town over.  In the winter, just have to use those canned ones -- but almost always use the roasted diced tomatoes -- more flavor.

I have used the same "recipe" since I learned at my mother's apron strings LOL  The only problem is that she's tiny (4' 7") and has hands to match.  I'm WAY taller at 5' 1.5" and my hands are somewhat larger!  So, a palmful of this and half a palmful of that got a little wonky until I made the adjustments years ago.  It's good that you experiment with your sauce.  I do that on occasion, but I hear about "process control" from HWMBO......   Freakin' engineers can get way too analytical!  (Read notice below)

Anyway, who knows what might happen -- could be I'll just keep a jar of mine ready in the freezer -- if I ever visit my friends in Dallas, I'll send you a message here.

Notice:

To any engineers who might read this -- I admire analysis and logic and reason and all that good stuff -- but sometimes, you just have to let a girl make her spaghetti gravy turn out differently at times -- that's what makes kitchens the best chemistry labs in the world!

Have a great rest of the weekend................Ciao
Desari63
on 8/11/12 2:28 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
That would be cool. I normally can't get to a fresh market here so I use the Red Gold whole tomatoes (28oz cans). They make the best sauce so far. I too use a little sugary as they take that "tomato-y taste) out of the sauce..to acidic is right.

I have been making the ricotta ever since I found the receipe and I also have been making a butt load of Texas Cavier as well. It makes for a wonderful snack or just a side to any meal you may have. If you want the receipe for that I can send it to ya..

Will keep a container in my freezer for you as well if you decide on a trip here. November is nice and the 1st week s NASCAR weekend and my hubby works that as well so races for me are free and the seats are awesome!!

Have a great weekend!

Barbara McKeown

PrettyEyes_41
on 8/11/12 10:10 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
Can you post the recipe for the ricotta bake? I can't get on eggface's website from work and I always forget to check for it at home.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Desari63
on 8/11/12 12:51 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
Will do...sending it you in an message on your profile...add a little turkey sausage to it and BAM!!! good eatin'!

Barbara McKeown

Desari63
on 8/11/12 2:23 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
Okay..for some reason I can't access your profile so here it is...

15 oz of ricotta cheese
1 cup of parmasean cheese
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Italian seasoning

1 cup Spaghetti sauce
1 cup Mozzorella cheese

Mix in a large bowl until complete blended...Add either ground turkey or Italian seasoned turkey sausage if you like. Ground beef works well too (make sure you cook it first..LOL). Put in a non-stick bread pan (layer the ricotta with spaghetti sauce, Mozorella cheese if you like).

Preheat the over to 400 degrees. Bake 20-25 mintues then add topping of Mozorella cheese until melted, bubbly and golden brown.

Barbara McKeown

tripmom02
on 8/11/12 2:31 pm - NJ
 You need to learn to can it! I do it in half pint and pint jars for myself and bigger jars for when I am cooking for the whole family, we go to a "pick your own" tomatoe place once a year and I make enough sauce to last us until the next year!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Desari63
on 8/11/12 2:58 pm - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
I have no idea on how to "can" anything like that. I can make the sauce but to you just put it in mason jars lik eyou would can peaches? Don't you have to have some sort of vacuum to pull out the air before you seal it? I make extra when my son and daughter in law come for dinner but it's just me and the hubby now and I'm still learning how to cook for one and a quarter..LOL!

If I can figure out how to actual "can" the sauce I would love to do that..much cheaper and it's more fun for me..I love to cook and since the surgery I can't do much of that anymore...

Have a great weekend!

Barbara McKeown

Most Active