Stuck and feeling a bit defeated

ButterflyAnna
on 8/15/12 5:56 am
VSG on 07/02/12
I'm a little over 6 weeks out and I've been stuck at 29/30 lbs lost for the last couple of weeks and it's making me batty! I know that stalls happen and I know that the scale will eventually move, but I'm getting discouraged anyway. I keep thinking...is this REALLY all the weight that will come off? I altered my insides for 30 lbs? I know that the thoughts are irrational, but I can't help it.

Also, I'm having a really hard time with head hunger. I would have given up my first born for a handful of Cheez It's the other night! But....I had some string cheese instead. I have to say, I haven't taken a bite or lick of anything that is not on my plan but it's a struggle EVERY single day. I've gone back to protein shakes for breakfast (maybe lunch too****il this stall breaks.

Any words of wisdom?? I guess I'm just feeling a bit defeated.

Thanks
Anna

emelar
on 8/15/12 6:00 am - TX
Sucks, doesn't it?

Yes, the scale will start moving again.  My best advice to you is to stay off the scale for a week (or two) and try to stop letting your head play nasty games with you.  You're doing great to stick to your plan.  As hard as it is to believe today, your plan will become your habit.  Even when the old foods call your name, the call won't be anywhere near as loud or alluring if you've kept those foods out of your mouth.

Hugs!
ButterflyAnna
on 8/15/12 9:46 am
VSG on 07/02/12
You're right. I'm going to keep off the scale for a while and tell those foods calling my name to be quiet!

Italian-Princess
on 8/15/12 6:35 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi ButterflyAnna

First of all, you are doing GREAT!  Averaging 5 pounds a week is wonderful 

Yep, it sucks -- stalls, even quasi ones like I'm going through, are NO FUN at all......UGH

However, I believe that if we can make ourselves stick to our plans, we will prevail and from what I've heard, there will be a big old drop in weight once the stall ends.  I sure hope that's true!

Are you diligently tracking your food intake?  I do not put anything into my mouth unless I list it  here on the Health Track (Nutrition button on the following screen) and at MyFitnessPal.  No need to do both -- I'm just a nutcase about this stuff LOL   Knowing your protein, carb, and caloric intake is really important.  What about your exercising?  If you enter your activities/exercises into the trackers online, that will also give you your calorie deficit for the week. 

If you think it would help you, read about the glycogen and water chemistry -- just enter that phrase in the search box at the top right of this page and you'll learn a lot about the way that affects stalls.

Rest assured, 29/30 pounds is not all you will lose.  Read this post you wrote today another month or two out and you'll see how much more you will have lost.  That's what I'm going to do because I'm not losing the way my numbers say I should either.

Do not give up -- keep posting and know that we are all here to support and encourage you!

Ree

ButterflyAnna
on 8/15/12 9:49 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Thank you Ree. I am tracking what I'm eating -- it seems that I'm eating a lot of the same foods each day...tuna, eggs, cheese, some cooked veg and a bite or two of fruit if I can fit it in. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to mix it up a little. I went back to a shake for breakfast this morning and just had a veggie burger (no bun of course!) for lunch. Not sure about dinner yet.

I've recently started excercising -- admittedly, I haven't done it at all since surgery! I'm sure that will kick start something as well.

happyteacher
on 8/15/12 6:57 am
 You are at a common stall point, so try not to fret.  

-Measure inches.  During stalls it is super common to be losing a lot of inches and not showing it on pounds.  Then poof, suddenly a big drop in pounds.  Notice how your clothes are fitting.

-If you are not tracking, start.  I love to eat.  I am A.D.D. and can very easily mindlessly eat a lot of calories, sleeve or no sleeve.  I found that when I first started tracking I was absolutely shocked at how many calores I was taking in.  Small wonder I was so overweight.  I always knew I ate too much and poor choices, but for sure some of my frustration with previous diet attempts was related to not having a firm grasp on what I was consuming.  So much for eyeballing. 

-Weigh everything.  Eventually you will get fairly good at eyeballing, but still weigh.  My scale died on me weeks ago and I am pretty sure my portion sizes are creeping up.  It matters.

-Increase fluids.

-Increase protein.  I go well above my minimum and it truly seems to help.  

-Exercise.  I cannot stress this enough.  It is important during the weightloss, but critical for maintence according to my bariatric team.  Catch the habit now!  Do what you enjoy.  Set a minimum time and days of week doing it goal.  That really helped me.  The hardest part is getting started, but once I do it is easy to put in far more minutes then my minimum.  I go with 6 days a week of at least 30 minutes.  Any intentional exercise counts. Housework or walking around my classroom does not. 

-Be patient and try not to fret.  I had several periods where I was genuinely worried that the weight loss was just done.  It wasn't.  I think that this has a grip on me because prior to surgery that was always the point that I quit.  Your sleeve won't quit.  Don't quit your sleeve!

Hang in there!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ButterflyAnna
on 8/15/12 9:53 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Thanks Happy! I am tracking my food, but I don't own a scale. I've been eyeballing everything. I was assuming that I was undereating the 2 oz I'm supposed to have but maybe not! A scale is definitely on my shopping list today!

The protein is hard for me to get in so I've gone back to a shake either for breakfast or lunch. It's the only way I can seem to hit my target 60 oz per day. Like I mentioned to Ree, I've recently started up with the excercise -- I really hadn't been making it a "habit" since surgery. That's definitely something to get into the habit of.

And you're right, this is the point where I would usually quit when I was dieting. Although it would take me a heck of a lot longer to lose 30 lbs!

Anna

Jenijeni
on 8/15/12 9:31 am
Agree with everything happyteacher just said!

Stalls suck. Was stuck for 6 weeks. It made me crazy, too. Track everything, drink water til you wanna puke, and keep tracking protein, carbs, etc.

If you're craving cheez-its (and your allowed cheese) do this: Take a piece of parchment paper (get it at grocery store) and drop a few tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese (the kind in the dairy cooler...not ground parmesan) in little circles on the parchment. Stick it in the microwave and nuke 'em for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. They should brown a little, but not burn! Let 'em cool for a sec and then peel 'em off the parchment. They get crunchy as they cool. Make sure to track those calories and only eat a couple... but they got me through MANY crunchy cravings!!

Good luck!
Jeni

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

ButterflyAnna
on 8/15/12 9:56 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Jeni -- those cheese crisps sound amazing! I am definitely going to try those -- I have a thing for salty, crunchy, cheesey. I guess that's what got me to 261 lbs! Fantastic suggestion.

A 6 week stall? Good for you for keeping up with your plan. I'm not sure how I would feel about stalling for so long. But I'm sure I'll find out at some point. Thanks for your response!

Anna

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views