weight loss stalled and I'm scared

Franette C.
on 8/26/12 4:48 am - GA
VSG on 06/29/12
I lost down to 184 lbs and in one day jumped up to 189, then the next day I was 190 and the next day I was 191!  Yesterday I was 189 and today the same.  I almost feel like I'm loosing size but this is scary.  Even a bite of white flour sends me climbing in weight.  I'm diabetic and trying to find a balance.  If I don't take insulin my glucose level goes for the stars.  If I take the insulin I seem to hold weight.  If anyone can explain this to me, please help.  I'm 8 weeks out from surgery and have lost 35 lbs.
happyteacher
on 8/26/12 4:57 am
 You are just seeing fluctutions in water retention- don't let it freak you out.  You are right about loosing size most likely- start measuring so you can see in black and white the changes.  I highly doubt one bite of flour sends your weight climbing by the way.  You should be attentive to your needs to manage your diabeties.  I know many on here stay under 40 carbs, but that is not the right fit for everyone.  If you are not sure how to adjust I would strongly recommend you meet with your nutritionist.  Stalls are a very normal part of the process.  Eat your protein first, drink your fluids, exericise, and make sure the food you are eating is sound nutritional choices.  It will come off if you follow your plan consistently.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Franette C.
on 8/26/12 5:06 am - GA
VSG on 06/29/12
Ok, thanks.  It's hard and I appreciate your advice.  I'll try.
Ms. Poker Face
on 8/26/12 5:08 am
It's pretty normal to have stalls and gains during this process.  Be sure you are drinking enough fluids.  Here's the science behind stalls and small gains:

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

dec721
on 8/25/12 10:15 pm, edited 8/26/12 7:46 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Okay, take a deep breath and chill :-)  I know it's scary when numbers fluctuate like that, but real weight doesn't jump around that quickly.  As the other poster said, it has to be a water weight thing.

You have done marvelously to have lost 35 pounds in eight weeks!  But you have to take care of your diabetes first and foremost, no matter what else.  And you have done a potentially lifesaving thing by getting sleeved and giving yourself a chance at permanent weight control.

Follow your surgeon's dietary guidelines to a tee (and I hope he promotes protein first, green veg next, and a very few complex carbs last!) and drink water like a fish.  The weight WILL come off in its own good time.  Try not to think of these times as stalls; think of them as times when your body is adjusting to a new way of life and resting up for more weight loss!

Best wishes on your journey :-)

--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Franette C.
on 8/26/12 1:25 pm - GA
VSG on 06/29/12
Thank you both for your help.  Ok,, I'm drinking like a fish.  I'll be patient, it's just not my nature.  Fran
sleevegirl
on 8/26/12 6:09 am - Austin, TX
Like everyone else has said... you're fine. Mine jumps around crazily (the biggest was 10 pounds when I went on a business trip for a week!). Click on my username on the left and read my last blog. It talks about how I've stair stepped all the way. It can be normal for most of us.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views