Thought I was one of the lucky ones.....

SusieQ_makingithapp
en2012

on 8/29/12 12:38 pm - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
 Ok... I have been on OH for several months reading and asking questions and learning from others experiences.. Well I read a lot of you say your tastes changed after surgery. I thought cool maybe mine will change so that I can like fish, seafood. etc... Well after my surgery, seemed my tastes didn't change because I still liked my shakes and broth etc... I am just over 2 weeks out and today I woke up to have my protein shake and to my surprise YUCK!!!! NOTHING tastes good that has been fine these past couple weeks!! I can't get my protein in these past few days! 

I did get sick with a bad cold a few days ago and that day I didn't drink a protein shake at all. I had the protein chicken broth from Unjury. I think that day I got 200 calories in! Well since surgery, I never feel hungry so I have been timing myself and eating every few hours or so, but since I got my cold everything tastes horrible!!! This sucks!!!! If I can't bring up my protein and calorie intake I won't lose any weight!! My body will go into starvation mode!!! 

At 3 weeks out what were you eating? Maybe if I get some ideas I can try to change things up a bit!

Dstc_99
on 8/29/12 12:49 pm - WA
VSG on 08/13/12
What are you taking for the cold? Lots of medication will change the way food tastes.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/12 1:00 pm
Love at least you are eating. I have yet been able to keep anything down and am in the midst of having and endoscopy done tomorrow because of it. If i get in, 5 calories or even 1 gram of protein in, that's ALOT for me. So consider yourself LUCKY!!
loverofcats
on 8/29/12 1:16 pm, edited 8/28/12 6:16 pm
If the only thing that you can get down is Unjury, then drink that. Fluids are your best friend. Sugar-free popsicles are 2 ounces each, ice chips will count for fluid. Mix unflavored protein in NF Greek Yogurt and add protein powder to anything that you can think of, including soups, broths, cottage cheese, etc. You don't want to get dehydrated. You might try making your own protein popsicles that some people have done.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

carebear32958
on 8/29/12 1:20 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Yeah my taste buds have changed right after surgery and I find every few days they change again.  I found, just like you did that I could tolerate most of my fav's in protein powder after surgery and at about a week and a half post op, I literally couldn't get any more of it down! For 2 days I literally just drank powerade, water and s/f popsicles.  it was a rough and emotional couple of days there but fortunately I was perseverant and kept trying different proteins.... (I've probably spent close to a $100 this past week or so trying new stuff) and finally found something I enjoy.  Just keep at it, this isn't about losing weight right NOW, its about the long haul, I don' t think a few days of not getting ur protein will hurt much.  Just keep up on your liquids!!!! Good luck!!! :) 
chocolateeri
on 8/29/12 6:55 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 What did you end up getting that you liked? Did you try the premier shakes? You can eat mushy today too can't you?

carebear32958
on 8/30/12 1:29 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Erin,
I found these pre made shakes at GNC Lean shakes I think they are called, they are actually pretty yummy and I put them in the freezer like 30 mins before I drink it and its slushy! :)  They have 170 cals but 25 grams of protein  and are dairy free, so those are working for me right now.  YES!!! I got to have a scrambled egg yesterday!  It was DELISH....I was so ready for it, I cooked it, set my timer for 20 mins and got to eating...I made it about half way thru the egg, in 30 mins and I was full, I could feel it.  It was a weird sensation after being on liquids for so long.  Today will be a coupld TBLSP of lowfat cottage cheese for dinner! YUM!!!!
jolenecsky
on 8/29/12 3:11 pm - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
haha....happened to me too!! I woke up from surgery and declared that I could stay on clear liquids for 2 weeks and it wouldn't bother me. WRONG. I did ok on clears for a week, but by the time I made it to full liquids, everything tasted awful to me. If I never see pudding again, I will not care!! I have been eating refried beans with mozzarella cheese and light sour cream, and I also made a special dry jello salad that tastes amazing. I am going to post the recipe on the board.

DOS: 8/15/12

MotoChic
on 8/29/12 5:01 pm - CA
 get sample packs of different protien shakes,  i like the protien in the bag at costco  27g protien per scoop   taste good in my coffee, and is great wiht a scoop of greek plain yoguart and maybe a bit of banana toss in some ice cubes and blend it for a nice smoothie treat.        but i get it sometimes i just choke down the protien,  the brand of protien i was using before surgery  OMG   cant do that one any more

ajporter14
on 8/29/12 6:01 pm - gainesville , FL
 if you have a sort of rusty taste in your mouth, look at your tongue and if you have a coat of white that cant  be scraped off with your teeth you probably have thrush. this changed the way everything tasted for me. I couldnt get anything down until after it was treated. good luck 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views