90 days PO and Nut wants to increase Carbs to 100 g

roxyrocks808
on 8/30/12 9:44 pm - Waialua, HI
VSG on 05/30/12
Here's me at 90 days PO.. I was hoping to be under 200lbs but not there yet. Nut wants me to increase my Carbs to 100gr I don't see how I can lose with that many carbs any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1022111/albums/117567/Roxy%20-%20PO%2090%20days%202-471508346.jpg

roxyrocks808
on 8/30/12 9:46 pm - Waialua, HI
VSG on 05/30/12
my pic didn't come through Oh shoot! anyone have this problem or can tell me how to upload a pic to forum?

mauigirl2
on 8/30/12 11:49 pm - kihei, HI
Hi, I am doing just the same as you... I read your blog post.. I have just been stuck, see the nut on Tuesday and my dr (not surgeon, still have never seen him again) the following week.  I am eating even less somedays than you and been really stalled, but still seing progress a few pounds at a time.  Why don't you try their idea for a week and see what happens? if you start to gain you can take it right back off real fast.

hollirrose
on 8/31/12 4:27 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Oh my... 100 carbs... I wasn't even getting 100 carbs a day before surgery! I think you will find on here that most keep their carbs under 40 per day. How many calories do they suggest? How much proteine?
happyteacher
on 8/31/12 5:25 am
 There are generally two camps on this board.  Many stay under 800 cals and 40 carbs.  I did this for the first 2 months and had issues with hypoglycemia and constipation.  I am in the other camp- my Nut wanted more carbs and cals.  I bumped up to 800-1000 cals and 100 net carbs (approximately) a day.  My weight loss rate kept humming along without a problem, and I felt a whole lot better.  I was careful with carbs- only had 15 at snacks and 30 at meals, ate 6 times a day.  Too much carb in one sitting will trigger too much insulin, then you store carbs as fat, the insulin triggers hunger and craving, and you get caught in a nasty cylcle.  After a few months of that I bumped up to 1000-1200 with the same carb load and that got me to goal.  With all the cals though I exercised 6 times a week with a typical workout being a 4-5 mile walk or an hour on the elliptical.  I also work with a much larger frame then most chics.  

There are some on this board that I greatly respect that kept the cals super low until they hit goal- that totally worked for them.  However, they did not try to lose weight at the higher calorie range so they would not know for sure if it would work for them- they just assume it would not.  I am a fan of getting to goal in the healthiest way possible, and for me that meant following my Nuts advice- all of it including the exercise. 

The rule I set for myself is that I would track the monthly averages.  If I fell below a 5 pound loss for a month I would adjust down the cals.  It never happened.  You do have to be honest with yourself with those cals... much easier to sneak in extra cals on that higher calore plan. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jengo1971
on 8/31/12 5:27 am
100 carbs/daily is a maintenance amt (and sometimes too many even then to maintain wt loss).  Most will NOT lose at that amt.  Go with what works for most...less than 40/day. 

Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
califsleevin
on 8/31/12 7:13 am - CA
I lost just fine at 80-120g carb per day - at a little over seven months to goal,I wouldn't have wanted to lose any faster. Speculatively, the higher calorie/carb routine may have been why I never had any significant stalls, either - the body really doesn't like things getting so out of balance. The low carb approach is workable for many and is certainly in fashion today (particularly here on OH where things are exceptionally manic on the subject - less so on other boards out there,) but is far from the only workable approach. Many nuts shun the low carb approach as a blanket solution due to its nutritional deficiencies, not wanting people to get into bad habits from it, but it can be useful temporarily to accelerate weight loss in some (and impede it in others,) or correct insulin resistance problems in those so afflicted.

If you haven't been satisified with your weight loss using the low carb approach, it is certainly worthwhile to try a different plan for a while to see if that fits you better. While many here (and a few docs, too) promote the 600cal/40g carb diet as a cookie cutter solution to our problems, not all of us are made from the same dough (how's that for a weight loss metaphor?) so it doesn't work the same for all.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

loverofcats
on 8/31/12 7:31 am
 I love your metaphor. :)
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 8/31/12 7:51 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Like, like, like!!! I hope that will work for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

olderbutwiser
on 8/31/12 7:51 am
 Also love the metaphor.  I also agree  - since being on solid food, I have never done the below 40 carb plan.  My doc and NUT said not to and I tried it and so far so good.  Some days I have 60 grams of carbs and some days 120.  One disclaimer to this is that they are high quality carbs....not crap.  I eat no junk foods AT ALL.  I do stay below 800 cal most days and I ALWAYS get at a minimum 60 grams of protein -- but like yesterday I was at 85.  I DO track what I eat and eat 3 meals a day and NO snacks unless I REALLY need it and then it's a high protein low cal something.  Good luck!!!

Most Active