Starting my journey, realized I need to do more research

Antimony40
on 9/1/12 7:14 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with
Newbie here...getting ready for a sleeve probably end of the year (doing my 3 month supervised weight loss currently), and have completed all my pro-op insurance requirements (EGD, sleep study, blood work, x-ray, EKG, ultrasound)...I've been on the site for about a month reading all of your posts (very helpful) and I realized I have NO idea what I'm in for and need to do more research.

What are your favorite/most useful sites for researching the procedure, the aftercare, the nutrition afterwards...how do I find out what I need to know BEFORE hand to make myself successful after surgery?

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

Kevin H.
on 9/1/12 7:16 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
I loved watching peoples youtube videos.  Just do a search for VSG and you have a wealth of people's experiences to listen to.  Both bad and good.  Love watching the before and after pics .. really is motivating.

Crabadams72
on 9/1/12 1:07 am, edited 9/1/12 1:16 am - Silver Spring, MD
Do a online search for vertical sleeve Gastrectomy guide, I know my guide w John Hopkins should come up, so will the one w Cornell medical center. This site has info, just dig though the main page. YouTube, this very board-go back 400 pages. All questions have been asked and answered, diet,stalls,vitamins etc.

Also look for the American society of metabolic and bariatric surgery- I think that's the name. They are the authority of everything WLS. If you can read heavy medical info, you will find the information that Dr's are supposed to give patients.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

PaulaS
on 9/1/12 9:48 am - TX
Both posters have great advice.
Ask you Dr. for what THEY recommend for nutrition after surgery - recommendations vary widely and you should follow your own Dr. / NUT's advice and recommendations. 
Also, remember, many people's taste changes drastically following surgery and what you may love or tolerate now, you may hate nor be unable to tolerate Post-Op. 
A number of people also become lactose intolerant post VSG, so try out some protein that does not have lactose in it.   I did not have that problem, so not sure which ones...

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views