I'm a Newbie and I'm Overwhelmed!!!!!!

Married2005
on 9/5/12 5:24 pm - NJ
I am a 47yr old woman who has been unhappy with my weight gain over the past 10yrs. Unsuccessful weight loss, diabetes and just recently high cholesterol has made me open to WLS.  I had my consult in July, attended support group and have been reading EVERYTHING I can on WLS and primarily VSG.  MY mind keeps going back and forth with the thought that maybe I have not tried hard enough to loose weight on my own.  But deep down in my heart I know I cannot do it on my own.  VSG seems to me what would work for me but after reading some of the postings I'm getting overwhelmed.

My insrance requires I wait 6 mos and I have since had knee surgery and to me i'm getting bigger by the day.  I'm reading that I should be trying to loose weight during this 6 mos but to be honest I have not even tried.  One day I'm optimistic and the next day I'm thinking my experience is going to be so horrible that I'm gonna wish I never did it.

Ironically and prayerfully, I have never read anyone say such a thing like they wish they had not done it.  I guess as I move closer and closer to the point  when I have to start making my other doctor appts (since I have to wait until January 2013) I will feel a little better.

For those of you who have been where I am please help me!
INgirl
on 9/5/12 5:35 pm
Please just keep reading, researching (all 3 effective surgeries- VSG, DS and RNY.. though I really think VSG & DS are best, DS especially for the diabetes/chol.) Go online and read all the medical studies you can dig up, search terms like partial gastrectomy, BPD/DS and such so you get the most hits on the papers you can find.. and take the time to really educate yourself about the post-op life of all of them. The message boards are great to see the real nitty-gritty post-op life, but they really can't sub for real research and facts.

Take the time to also perhaps start adopting some small good habits.. Clean up your eating a little- no need to jump in and pull a complete overhaul, but incorporating some better foods, and cutting out white carbs may be a good start. I was 37 and had a lifetime of being fat behind me, save for a span of about 7 years struggling to hold onto a normal weight.. I firmly believe that WLS is the only long-term realistic solution to obesity. It still takes work, but it makes it something that is within reach vs something that just isn't over the course of a life. 
Jenny C.
on 9/5/12 5:38 pm
It is easy to get overwhelmed, and to wish wish wish for a crystal ball that would show you the right path to take.  I certainly was there.  I was scheduled for a Gastric Bypass, and changed to VSG 13 days before the planned surgery date.  Yikes.  I remember how hard it was.  Hang in there.  Take breaks when you have to, then come back and keep reading everything you can.  FIND THE BEST SURGEON YOU CAN FIND.  Experience matters.  Ask the surgeon about the number of procedures (of your chosen type) they have done and what their weight loss statistics are.  Good luck.  I hope it's the right thing for you.  It has changed my life dramatically for the better.
Jenny

sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/5/12 6:15 pm
I am only three weeks out from VSG. It took me almost 4 years to make my decision and navigate the insurance quagmire. Every day since my surgery, I have felt happy, sad, excited, anxious and maybe even a little depressed about my decision.

I will say this though, the only regret I have is not doing even more homework. I really made my mind up and then figured out how to get what I had decided I wanted. A better course might have been to do a little more homework before just getting my stomach cut out and removed.... Don't get yourself all worked up. Just take deep breaths and keep reading. 

One last thought, you can't go wrong trying to get a handle on your diet now. WLS is a way to physically alter your body to make it more difficult to do what we can't do mentally on our own. Getting yourself mentally prepared is probably more important than anything else you can do.

Married2005
on 9/5/12 7:39 pm - NJ

What other specific homework do you suggest I do?

Married2005
on 9/5/12 6:21 pm - NJ
I so appreciate the feedback and the suggestions which I will take. I know I cant do this weight loss w/o surgery because I have tried to eat better, Weigh****chers, etc.... and with no real success. I will be leaning on you guys because no one else truly understands.
smashlee
on 9/5/12 7:12 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
On September 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM Pacific Time, Married2005 wrote:
I so appreciate the feedback and the suggestions which I will take. I know I cant do this weight loss w/o surgery because I have tried to eat better, Weigh****chers, etc.... and with no real success. I will be leaning on you guys because no one else truly understands.
 Hi!  Guess what...you are not alone!  And you are correct that a lot of People in your life may not understand but don't mistake that for not caring about you. I, like you, am new to this. I went to my first seminar in Dec. of last yearand just in the last month or 2 decided I was ready. I got on the 18th for my day of consults. 2 of my closest friends have had VSG so they have been my sounding boards but this is a great place to see exactly what to expect and ask questions. So many times I have been lurking and thought, "Oh, I wondered that," or "I've been exactly there.". 
You have to be the one to make the decision. I would say not to have surgery until you are positive this is right for you and what you WANT to do. This isn't a magic fix or an over-night solution but a tool to get you closer to where you want to be. There is still work and commitment involved. Just breathe, read, and do some soul searching. 
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

lucy2e
on 9/5/12 6:34 pm - Laurel, MD
Welcome to the VSG forum!

I suggest you take this time to try and make some small changes each month that will help you prepare for the lifetime changes you are facing.  Things like drinking 64 oz of water each day, stopping smoking,  eliminating calorie dense drinks, eating lean dense protein, starting with protein...

If you start tackling one or two each month, then you will have habits that you need to be successful post-op.  It's probably more important than losing weight pre-op!

Good luck! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Married2005
on 9/5/12 7:40 pm - NJ
All of your feedback is so appreciated......
sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/5/12 12:59 pm, edited 9/6/12 2:55 am
I have a blog. I've been updating it a couple times per week but only posted the last few entries tonight. I wrote down a lot of the things we are all talking about down. I wrote it for myself, but ultimately, much like misery loves company, so does success.

I am sure that this is going to finally going to allow me to enjoy my life without being obsessed and preoccupied with my weight. Self consciousness and personal discontent overshadows everything else.

I often say that when you're obese, it's the very first thing you face in the morning, the last thing you see before bed and what dominates your thinking through all your waking hours.

When I say do more homework, it's not about anything in particular, but rather about whatever you can think of to research. What bothers you most about your weight problem?
Most Active