Question; band vs sleeve

doreen513
on 9/7/12 4:05 pm - PA

Hello all,

I have some questions.  I have been banded not once but twice.  The first time was in February 09. In June 2011, I had a hiatal hernia and when that was repaired, they revised my band.  I am just no good at it. I failed it not once but twice. I don't go and get fills when I should, I feel as if I don't really need one because alot of food gets stuck now so why go and have them tell me, I do not need a fill?  I def do not want the gastric bypass. I have been giving the sleeve alot of thought. I have been reading up on it and it may be what i want.  I know it is not a miracle surgery but I just do not want to bother with the band any more. Can I have some of your opinions, advice or anything you have to offer. I am so lost I do not know what to do. I have fibromyalgia and I think if I lost weight, I would prob feel better.

Thanks everyone for your time in reading this and the advice that is to come.

Take care,

Doreen

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/12 4:14 pm
I'll be Frank, Doreen I think the band is almost worthless. I do know a couple people that have done well with it and it changed thier life, but I think the band is a crap shoot. My father had his slip and gained back most of the weight he lost. I love the sleeve, I've lost 300 pounds with it and kept it off. I don't know your profile but if you are older like me and need to lose 100 pounds or more and keep it off, sign up for the sleeve and don't look back. Certainly a bariatric surgeon can help make the best decison for you, but ultimately it's your choice. I'm sure you've read alot of the great success stories if you have been on the forum for a while there all true. I know several people in my group who have done well with it as well.

Good luck to you,
Bubba
Kelly-AnneH
on 9/7/12 4:20 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I also have fibromyalgia (and arthritis and used to have über high blood pressure)
Just over 2 months out I no longer take BP meds, pain meds have gone from twice daily to once a week at most. I have tonnes of energy and feel like I've lost a year of age for each pound I've lost since surgery. (that makes me 26 - score!)
The only negative I can think of is the tailbone pain when I sit too long. I'm hoping that building up the muscles in the area will help with that.
You WILL have to take the diet guidelines seriously if you want to both lose the weight and keep it off. If you expect the sleeve to do all of the work you'll be sadly disappointed.
If you're prepared to do your share I'd say do it! It's time to get on with your life.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

USAF Wife
on 9/7/12 4:53 pm
The sleeve vs. the band is like night vs. day.

I revised over 3 years ago. Food and eating behaviors still have to be controlled, and worked on daily. I can honestly tell you the sleeve makes it easier, but I can still suck down slider foods and milkshakes if I choose.

Food doesn't get stuck, I don't puke, I have no true food intolerances, and I live a very normal life post-VSG. I'm currently 8.5 months into my 2nd post-VSG pregnancy, and absolutely thriving.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

None of the surgeries beat craptastic food habits and behaviors. It still falls back on each one of us at the end of the day.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jackie00
on 9/7/12 5:31 pm
WOW you are almost ready for delivery again. Hope to see you have a little more free time to come on here but I know how busy little children can make you and your time on here quickly disappears. Good luck with everything.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

thisbe777
on 9/7/12 6:41 pm
 you couldn't pay me to have a band.  i love my sleeve!

my ticker speaks for itself...

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

pineview01
on 9/7/12 7:14 pm - Davison, MI
Just had my band out.  Your story is close to mine, minus a second
band.  It isn't all your fault.  But, I told myself the same thing.  Didn't
go in for another fill, a surgeon said I needed it as I was not losing
but, I felt too tight and choked and vomited.  Months later went in
for the fill finally and ended up totally unfilled as I was too tight. 
I still worked at the band for 2.5 more years.

Now I have the band out!  But, in the mean time the insurance went
thru a change and are only allowing one WLS per life time.

If you have the chance run, don't walk and get your band out and a sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

happyteacher
on 9/7/12 7:15 pm
 I am not a fan of the band.  The sleeve is very effective and I would not hesitate to do it again.  Seems like you already know what you need- just go for it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active