Have a Band but looking at converting

angdenise
on 9/13/12 2:59 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
Hi,

I had a lap band placed in 2008.  I have had quite a bit of success.  Lost 140lbs initially but since put about 40 back on.  Even with my loss my BMI is sitll above 40 (barely) and my sugeon asked if I had thought about converting to another procedure.  Are there any here who have?  Have you continued to have luck?  What kind of complications?  Had it been an option I probably would have initially had the sleeve.  It seems like with the band, in order to hvae the right restricion to get full quickly I end up not able to eat healthy choices such as vegetables because they get stuck..  Any adivce? 

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

Greg M.
on 9/13/12 4:10 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I had a band with initial success of losing 55 lbs.  Following a slip and repair I had a second slip and removal.  Going two years on my own I had the sleeve last December.  I have had no problems and lost almost 50 lbs.  I love my sleeve.  No adjusting, no getting stuck, no port pushing through...on and on. 

I will tell you this, the sleeve is softer than the band.  I used to hit a hard wall when I was full with the band and my sleeve is NOT that way.  For me it requires more self control and effort.  You can eat around it.  That being said, I feel more normal with the sleeve and don't regret it for a minute. 

Good luck with your decision!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

angdenise
on 9/13/12 6:43 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
Thanks!  I've learned to eat around the band now.  I am working on behavior changes and know the sleeve won't necessarily speed up weight loss but the sleeve may be a better long term option (less money of fills and follow-ups).

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

melly37
on 9/13/12 10:14 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 I agree completely with Greg!  I feel completely normal now....sometimes so normal I lose control.  The sleeve does its job, beautifully, there are too many times that I don't do mine.  I love my sleeve way more than the band, but I struggle so much to eat healthy.  Good luck!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Greg M.
on 9/13/12 11:57 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Hey girl...sorry to hear that you are struggling :(  We have both had quite a journey.  I have always enjoyed exercising and recently starter jogging and loved it.  Not 2 weeks after I started, I got a very sore foot.  So I'm in a boot now and can't do anything for a month.  Hopefully this will ease up and I can get back to my regular routine. 

What methods have you tried to eat healthier?  Do you like veggies or do you gag on them? 

melly37
on 9/16/12 10:19 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 Hi Greg!  I am going to detox from carbs this week.  I made a huge batch of Elina's green chicken soup!  I will eat that and have protein shakes.  

I started jogging last summer and saw results right away.  I need to get back to it.  Hope your foot gets better soon!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Greg M.
on 9/17/12 2:31 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Melly,

Way to go on the carb detox.  It always amazes me how eating carbs makes me hungrier.  It's like a drug that I can't get enough of. 

My foot is starting to feel better.  Going back to the doc on Tuesday and trying to ease back in to activity without overdoing it. 

Determined for this week to be a low carb week for me too.  Cooked a bunch of veggies yesterday, so trying to stick with protein and veggies and get this hunger under control.  I think the whole ghrilin thing is a myth!

Best,

Greg

JoyeuxNoel
on 9/14/12 3:26 am

Yeah, get that thing OUT of you...seriously, it's really only a matter of time before it has to be taken out one way or another. Don't wait until it is an emergency surgery like mine. I had a band in 2007, did great until I woke up one morning unable to eat or drink anything. It had prolapsed and my doc had to go in and remove it.

I was without a band or sleeve or any WLS tool for almost 3 years and regained the 100lbs I had lost PLUS some until I found myself at my highest of 355...

I absolutely love the sleeve. It is so very different from the band in the best possible ways. You feel normal full instead of "band" full. Can't explain it, but it's so much more natural and comfortable and you can't "cheat" it like you can the band.

Good luck!

"I never look back darling, it distracts from the now."      
Most Active