Increase in VSG surgeries

Marie M.
on 9/14/12 3:55 pm - PA
Can't believe I forgot to mention this in my 1 year surgiversary post yesterday.   As I was leaving the office yesterday, I asked my NP if there's been an increase in the popularity of VSG.  A year ago my surgeon told me that 80% of his surgeries were RNY/DS and 20% VSG.  The NP now says its 50/50 and they expect the VSG to become the most requested surgery anytime now.

VSG  ROCKS!!!!

Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

sleevegirl
on 9/14/12 4:38 pm - Austin, TX
The hospital where I had my surgery (and where I go to support groups) has said that they do more VSGs than any other WLS as of this month. Interesting.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

maeya321
on 9/14/12 5:14 pm
VSG on 07/05/12
 I think this should the be surgery of choice! Why have your insides re-routed when you don't have to and you have the same results but less complication possibilities.  That was the reason I wouldn't have surgery for so long, I didn't want my intestines messed with! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/12 11:11 am, edited 9/14/12 11:11 am
I think a great deal has to do with the ASMBS publishing positive articles about retention of the pyloric valve in WLS and more surgeons offering the surgery and noting the great results. One recent article (within the past year) even went so far as to predict that the VSG would become the new gold standard for WLS within 5 years. The article also cited some issues with RNY that can cause regain that ARE NOT THE FAULT OF THE PATIENT, BUT A SHORTCOMING IN THE SURGERY. In many patients the stoma created in the pouch connecting to the intestine enlarges over time and hastens gastric emptying causing the patient to be always hungry - no matter what type of food was eaten. There is no working pylorus in RNY patients and for some this causes problems down the road.

I have seen a shift in one of my support groups, too. At one time I was one of two VSGers there. Now I'm the old timer to a handful of newbies. Every month there seem to be more people considering the sleeve and fewer considering the RNY.
lisa2job
on 9/14/12 6:30 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I am so happy I got the second opinion and choose the sleeve !!!!!  Love love love Dr Chock !!!
Lauren Vento
on 9/14/12 6:56 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 I'm extremely happy that my insurance covered it!  I was terrified of RNY because of the inability to absorb some nessesary medications, which for a friend has caused serious complications in her life, and the lapband seemed too dangerous in the long term with scar tissue.  They did tell us that the RNY was the "suggested" and "proven" surgery, but all of the people I know who've recently opted for surgery have had the VGS.  

All of the benifits, less of the issues.

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Hislady
on 9/14/12 9:53 pm - Vancouver, WA
That's great to hear for those of us still hoping for one. I imagine the true facts about the lap band not being what it was touted to be has also made a difference. Not to mention all the bandsters that have revised to the sleeve. I hope this just makes it more acceptable to the insurance companies.
Most Active