EWWWW

nieba
on 9/18/12 7:34 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I have noticed that lately the back of my throat is tasting really nasty lately. No matter how I brush or use listerine, within an hour, the taste is back. I also think it is making me a bit nausous too.

Anyone else have this problem? Does it go away?

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

kristen D.
on 9/18/12 8:33 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
maybe its that mode that your body goes into where it's using/burning fat, i forget the term, (maybe ketosis??) Anyway, i've read that it can cause a bad taste in the mouth as well as bad breath. I do believe it's temporary! :) hope this kind of helps

jtshack
on 9/18/12 8:39 am - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
I hadn't heard of this...interesting. I just looked it up real quick and aside from ketosis, it also mentions that low carb diets can cause bad breath (not sure if that would be the same as a bad taste). The article specifically mentions the Adkins diet, but it says if the bad taste/breath persists long term, they suggest seeing a doctor. 

http://www.ketosisbadbreath.com/ 

Wasn't even aware of this - you learn something new every day!

~ Tracey from SC ~ VSG on 8/28/2012 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana

Start - 250 ~ Surgery - 218 ~ Current - 145

jtshack
on 9/18/12 8:33 am - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
Are you on any medications, particularly anything with steroids? My son used to use an inhaler with steroids in it for his throat condition (Eosinophilic Esophogitis) and it caused him to have a yeast infection in his throat. Not only did it cause a distinct odor, but it made him gag and feel naseous. The doctors treated him with Diflucan and switched him to a non-steroidal inhaler and the odor and gagging are gone. 

If you AREN'T taking anything like that, I would suggest seeing a doctor if it's causing you this much discomfort. Could be a deficiency of some sort or a reaction to something...any number of things. Well worth getting it checked out though.

Good luck!   

~ Tracey from SC ~ VSG on 8/28/2012 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana

Start - 250 ~ Surgery - 218 ~ Current - 145

INgirl
on 9/18/12 8:44 am
Could be ketosis breath- in which case you do eventually adapt and it fades.. could be thrush (yeast overgrowth) - any thick white coating on your tongue, sore spots, etc?
nieba
on 9/18/12 8:49 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I do get this thick white "goo" on my tongue. I am finding that drinking something with a little acid in it does help. I stopped water and went to Gatorade and the Lemon Lime is really helping.

I am just glad to hear it goes away. Thanks everyone.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

INgirl
on 9/18/12 9:34 am
Sounds like ketosis and protein tongue (sometimes protein shakes just leave a coating.. it is ewww, totally.)

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/12 10:06 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I can't remember the exact brand name, Biotene, something like that.  It's a hydrating series of oral care products, it can help.  My mother used it while she was undergoing chemotherapy.

But it sounds like you have ketosis and dehydration issues going on. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views