4 years out - still maintaining ideal weight - amazed!!

Jane D.
on 9/24/12 7:09 am - Dallas, TX
Greetings VSGers,

I'm at 4 years 2 months since my gastric sleeve procedure.  I went from 225 on the day of my surgery to my current weight of 140.  Been at this weight (give or take 8-10 pounds) for about 2.5 years now!  The lowest I got to was about 130, but that was after a surgery (tummy tuck).  Seem to be maintaining rather well, but it took me coming back to this site and reviewing my blog and weight entries to realize and verify.  

Seems like I've been *****ing about losing 10 pounds for what feels like years,...and I found out that I have.  And to be honest, I'm not quite sure why anymore.  Seem like my brain has hard wired to continually think I need to lose more weight, despite the fact that I'm at my ideal weight.  I'm 5'6, and 140....well within normal limits.  I look good.  I fit into 6 or 8 on any given day.  I can sport a bikini and despite the stretch marks, feel pretty comfortable.  So, why I have been so distracted with the last 10 pounds is beyond me.  

I wonder if it's fear.  Fear that one morning I'll wake up and I'll be back at 225 (or rather 240, my weight at my heaviest).  Thinking it is.  

So, what has happened in 4 years:
1. Hair as not fully recovered...looks normal by all accounts, but never regained the fullness it used to. Nails are fine.
2. Maintained weight loss - lost all the weight in less than a year and a half. Then it was a slow decline for to the current weight. 
3.  Hormones went off the chart, but stabilized quite nicely for about 3 years now.
4.  Skin has firmed up OK, but not as nice as I would have liked.
5.  I can eat "normally'... and can eat with my friends and family without feeling like I'm weird.  I eat only about half a regular entree, if that, but have learned to just take it home or share a plate.
6.  I don't take any supplements of any kind except a multi vitamin and b-12 sub-lingual (which I'm really bad at remembering).  Everything else comes from food.  
7.  Have no issues with any types of food, however, I still can't eat and drink at the same time and still prefer eating soups (go figure).  
8.  Heartburn is almost a thing of the past.  Seems like I had heartburn after every meal about the first 3 years.  I can now leave the pepcid at home and not freak out if i don't have it.  It's rare these days unless i lay down after a meal.  
9.    Throwing up still happens, but it's also a rare thing.  I really have to overdo it.
10.  I still have no regrets about the surgery and am proud of the weight loss :)

To all those that are just starting on this venture... best of luck. :)   
Amy 2bhealthy
on 9/24/12 7:20 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Great to hear from those further out! Congrats on maintaining your weight! It hink we will always have some "issues". I don't think they will ever go away. It sounds like you are staying accountable by some of those thoughts you have though too.

Thanks for coming on and updating. Good to hear these things! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

FAITHin2011
on 9/24/12 7:20 am - NC
So glad you are doing so well! Do you still do the high protein low carb eating? And about how many calories do you do a day? Thanks so much!

Jane D.
on 9/24/12 7:47 am - Dallas, TX
Yep,..high protein, low carb, but could do better.  I eat on average anywhere from 1200 calories per day.
1london
on 9/24/12 7:53 am
Congratulations on your success!!!
Thank you SO much for sharing your journey!  I love to read how people are doing years after vsg and I appreciate that you are honest and upfront.
I certainly wish you all the best!! :)

acbbrown
on 9/24/12 8:28 am - Granada Hills, CA
Congrats on the great maintenance!!  Thanks for coming by to share - it's always great to see the long time vets :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Feystorm
on 9/24/12 2:44 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Congratulations on your maintenance.  As I get closer to goal and moving into the maintenance stage, I have some anxiety.  Seeing successful, thoughtful and helpful posts from vets such as yourself is a great benefit to me.  Thank you 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

aled1223
on 9/24/12 3:48 am
I think we are so used to always needing to lose weight we are not used to maitenance and what it feels like.  Sounds like you have done great and your at a great size.   Good to hear from someone that is so far out.  I am only 3 months out.  

lucy2e
on 9/24/12 9:26 am - Laurel, MD
 Sounds like you are doing great and loving life!  Thanks for sharing - good to see people further out maintaining!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 5:20 pm
 Great post!!  This really gives me hope when it's my turn.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views