What are your favorite snacks?

ButterflyAnna
on 9/24/12 3:43 am
VSG on 07/02/12
I've been stuck in a food rut - pretty much eating the same types of food everyday. Lots of chicken, fish, cheese, yogurt, etc. I'm a big snacker - especially at night. I guess this is something that I haven't been able to get my head around post-VSG. Although instead of choosing a box of Cheez It's to snack on when I watch TV, I'm eating some yogurt, roasted chick peas, wasa cracker....What's your favorite snack? I need something new, I'm getting bored.

Thanks!
Anna

Sarah W.
on 9/24/12 5:48 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Are you planning for the snacks? Or is this mindless? Just wanted to ask. Still preop and I think stopping my mindless eating will be really hard. My doc doesn't want us snacking, so I was just curious. Are you eating enough at meals? I moved my tv in front of my bike so I have to bike to earn tv time at night after my kids are in bed. I've just skipped the tv time except for last night I biked. The tv time is when I was doing most of my eating.

Ok onto your question. I like hummus with red pepper strips, Elina has a recipe for stuffed celery I plan to try until that time I like a laughing cow wedge on celery, I like a sandwich baggie of antipasto I imagine post op this will be smaller like a snack size baggie so a little Italian chicken breast a cherry tomato or 2, 1-2 olives, tiny chunk of feta. I also like ff or rf cream cheese roll ups in ham or turkey slices. Stuffed mini peppers with a appetizer sized turkey meatball and a smidge of homemade marinara on top. Soup?

Trying to think of high protein options for you. Does your protein shake have fiber in it? I have one that does and it's great I'm filled up on it preop. One of them is bariatric fusion mint chocolate ice cream flavor. Drinking one now it's so good.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

ButterflyAnna
on 9/24/12 4:24 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Hi Sarah...I don't think it's mindless eating -- I don't usually snack during the day so I know I have room for some calories. I usually do a high protein breakfast, lunch and dinner and save my snack(s) for night time (I know, I know -- nighttime snacking is bad!). I like hummus too -- going to start eating that again and I'm in love with the Laughing Cow cheese - I put it on everything!

Anna

rhearob
on 9/24/12 5:23 am - TN

Are you recording your "Snack" calories in your food journal?  Are you planning on them before hand?  Do you know why you are snaking?

If the answer to any of those is "No" I would call this mindless eating.  The kind of grazing you are describing can add up very quickly.  If you know exactly how these foods fit into your goals and what impact they have - then its not mindless, its an informed decision for what to eat.

Snacking behavior is generally recommended against because it can so easily get out of control.  After almost a year if Is sit down at night to watch a TV show - I want to graze and snack.  Sometimes I will if I have the calories, but I choose a healthier low carb option like vegetables.  But only after I take the time to plan it out and log it - before I eat it.

This is a behavior that I am being very careful with.  I cannot let the TV time snacking become habit again.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

CatahoulaLover
on 9/24/12 8:05 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
Cucumbers dipped in Walden's blue cheese calorie free dressing.

String cheese.

Blackberries

Deli Turkey and a slice of cheddar cheese microwaved til warm.

Chocolate protein shake with PB2 added.

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

ButterflyAnna
on 9/24/12 4:25 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Where do you get the PB2? Is it online only? I've never seen it in stores.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anna

CatahoulaLover
on 9/24/12 6:24 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
I got my PB2 from Amazon but there are other places online that sell it and my cousin found it at Krogers in St. Louis.

I know some people don't like veggies but I had brussel sprouts for a snack last week  and mashed parsnips and a cheesy mashed cauliflower dish too. I keep pre-measured snack cups in the freezer of certain foods and then baggies in the fridge so I don't have to think about how much it is. I already know. I tend to make my snacks be fruit or veggies because I can't eat veggies with my meals since I fill up on protein. The 2oz of meat will just fill me up and there's no room for vegetables. So I use the veggies and fruits as my snacks. Since I premake my meals and snacks on the weekends I'm pretty prepared. I make my vegetables like the parsnips and then portion them out and freeze them. Microwave when ready to eat them.

I also freezer canned in mini jars strawberries, blackberries, and peaches for a quick fruit snack. If I want to sweeten it up I can just add a dollop of sugar free cool whip or stir into greek yogurt and add some splenda. But to be honest I just like the fruit on it's own. :-)

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

INgirl
on 9/24/12 8:48 am
I eat 5-6x a day, so meals, snacks.. I just call them feedings ala Brandilynn (miss you if you are out there!) and plan them into my daily macros from morning till 9-10pm. Snacking to me means mindless eating, which is not a good thing to get in the habit of (or continue the habit of.) 

My go to's: Ostrim meat sticks, string cheese, GG bran crisp bread with laughing cow light or some goat cheese.. baby portobello "pizza", GY with pumpkin puree, protein ice-pop or shake-pop, veggie snack from leftovers, deviled egg, protein grain-free mini muffin.. 
ButterflyAnna
on 9/24/12 4:30 am
VSG on 07/02/12
I guess I could rephrase my question...like you, I guess I could consider it "feedings" rather than "snacking". I definitely don't eat mindlessly anymore. That was a HUGE problem for me pre-VSG. I work on that every day.

The GY with pumpkin sounds so good. I've been craving something "fall-ish"! Thanks for the suggestions!

Anna

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 9:21 am
I eat three protein based meals a day.  My snacks are all veggie based.  I make veggie salads that are high in fiber and low in fat and calories.  I use fibrous veggies whenever possible.  My snacks involve those salads, or my soups.  Sometimes, I eat an artichoke with Greek yogurt dip at night.  Only 60 cals. and 10 grams of fiber.

If you mean mindless eating, just eating while watching TV type of thing, I don't do that anymore.

Most Active