Day 3 of the preop diet and I have a question for those who have done preop diets.

Pinkchickadee
on 9/26/12 1:32 am
 When you  were doing the  diet what part did you  find the  hardest? Was it  the  begining of the middle or end?  I am just  starting  day three and I am  down 6 pounds and very tired of the  constant sweetness of the  protien shakes (I am only allowed protien shakes and  water for  3 weeks).   I  am  wondering how it  went for you.  What was the hardest part for you?

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

favrow812
on 9/26/12 1:40 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
Does your doctor not allow sugar free jello or popsicles? Can you have broth to take a break from the sweetness? My pre op diet allowed for unlimited of all three of those things.

Just take it one day at a time and remember you are THAT much closer to joining us on the losers bench. The misery of the pre op diet will soon be a distant memory!

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Pinkchickadee
on 9/26/12 5:12 am
 No, he has told me  repeatedly Protien shakes and  water ONLY!  He's kind of mean!

Alexis K.
on 9/26/12 1:44 am
VSG on 07/30/12
My pre-op diet was quite a bit different from yours, but the first 4 days were HARD. After that, it jsut didn't bother me anymore. I guess because some of the "hardness" had worn off and becuase I knew it was a temporary "hard". Since surgery I've not had a single problem with my way of eating being difficult. I'm sure that day will come, but so far it's been smooth sailing. Just get through this three weeks and it will be worth it!

Sarah W.
on 9/26/12 1:56 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Can you try unjury chicken soup flavored protein shakes?

Also bariatric fusion mint ice cream protein shakes with water and ice in a blender aren't bad.

Can you have powerade zero or G2 or crystal light? The syntrax nectar medical unflavored protein power is good in those. I also use Unjury strawberry sorbet in a 16 oz of water with 1 packet of crystal light lemonade. Do not use the bariatric fusion strawberry shortcake flavor in crystal light lemondae.

I was told I could freeze my shakes and eat them as "ice cream treats" don't let them thaw all the way though they must be eaten semi-frozen.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

hollykim
on 9/26/12 2:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
after the first 3 days it was no problem for me. just drank mine and went on. if you are using chocolate shakes ,try adding a teaspoon or two of plain unsweetened hersheys baking cocoa in the can, it make s the shaake more chocolately and breaks the sweetness.

GL

Pinkchickadee
on 9/26/12 5:18 am
 Thanks, I'll give that a  try!

Eileen P.
on 9/26/12 2:25 am - NJ
I'm on day 3 of a two week pre-op.  Shakes and one high protein low fat meal a day.  I am a little dizzy at times, and a little shakey at times, but actually doing better than I thought I would.  I also stopped smoking.  From what I've read on these posts many say after day three things are much better....I hope that's the case.  Good Luck!!

Pinkchickadee
on 9/26/12 5:20 am
 I  was expecting  3 weeks of unbearable torture but  for the  most part it's  not bad so far. I just wish there was a  way to avoid the  sweetness!  I  think my  opinion might be  different  in two more weeks!

meljac22
on 9/26/12 10:30 am - NE
VSG on 10/09/12

I am on Day 4 of my pre-op diet and I got the Vanilla Powder so I make mine with skim milk and 3 ice cubes.. My Nurse told me to be creatvie so that I didn't get burned out with it.. I know you don't like the sweetness, but maybe you could switch up the flavors.. So far I have done plain vanilla, I put some Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup, I have put a Crystal Light Packet in it.. Orange Flavor, I am going to put a little bit of pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice in it for a pumpkin one.. Frozen Fruit also is a good one.. it don't take much to flavor up a plain boring vanilla shake.. just make sure you count your calories if you are on a limited number of calories a day... Good Luck. You can do it.. It will be worth it.. Day 1-2 was the hardest for me.. right now I am doing much better.. I am down 10 pounds since I weighed in last Friday at the Dr. office.. so I am happy about that..

Most Active