Morning workout and hydration question

MaryContrary80
on 10/1/12 9:51 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
Good Morning Sleevers! 

Yesterday, I started doing a morning workout. I felt fine when I woke up, did my workout, felt great but as soon as I was finished I felt VERY nauseous and had a bad headache. I assumed it was from dehydration, so I drank lots of water after. It did go away after a couple of hours. So last night I made sure to drink quite a bit of water before bed and then I drank another 16 oz. bottle of water this morning before I started working out, and then continued to drink while working out and I STILL got a horrible headache and nausea as soon as I was done.

When I workout during the day, I have no issues with this at all. I am not sure what to do because I feel lousy!! Any advice? 
acbbrown
on 10/1/12 10:09 pm, edited 10/1/12 10:11 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Im not sure exactly what kind of workout you are doing, but if its super intense, you may need to eat a little bit before you workout. It doesnt sound like it's a hydration issue. Since it's only been two days - it may just be a fluke this week and it's nothing but try eating a little snack or something before hand (or drink 8-12 oz of some gatorade or something).

ETA: I just saw that you are less than a month out - i know i wasnt even cleared for less than walking at this point, but remember you are dealing with a severe caloric restriction at this point and your body is not going to function normally and yeah - you will probably feel like crap for a while (for a lack of better term - naseua and headache sound normal lol).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sarah W.
on 10/1/12 10:10 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Could your blood sugar or blood pressure be too low after you workout? Are you eating before? Are you working out at max hr and maybe need to back down to 80%? Try a few bites of yogurt 30 min before you workout and wear a hr monitor or check your pulse at various points during your workout. Protein shake after workout is good and some carbs are ok immediately following a workout helps with protein uptake.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

MaryContrary80
on 10/1/12 10:28 pm, edited 10/1/12 10:30 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
I'm only approved for light exercise so I have been dancing the in the morning (yes I'm a dork). I did 45 minutes each time. (It was super fun, until I felt like my guts were going to spill!)

It didn't even occur to me that it could be a food issue (or a new sleever issue for that matter). That's probably what it is. At my 1 week post op, my nurse told me my blood sugar was a little low and that my pancreas was starting to function normally (I have insulin resistance, so that was great news actually), so yep, that's probably it. I didn't think of it because I haven't had any symptoms like that until now. Thank you!! That should help! Any recommendations on what to eat in the AM? My breakfast is usually just protein coffee. Would a string cheese be good enough, you think? 

ETA: I don't know how I missed your yogurt suggestion! That'll work! 

Sarah W.
on 10/1/12 10:36 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
Might be all you need, good idea. I prefer the solid before I workout so there's not the sloshing feeling which does make me feel sick.

Congrats on getting rid of the IR. I have that too and can't wait to be rid of it.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Maybe also get some peanut butter, or v8 juice, or half a banana, or cherry tomatoes or protein shake with milk (aka healthy carbs) ready just in case so you can quickly bring the bs back up if needed after your workout. Your body will still be burning so a small amount of healthy carbs afterward won't defeat your workout.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

MaryContrary80
on 10/1/12 10:42 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
 Thank you! Super helpful suggestions! 
Most Active