I want to eat everything that isn't nailed down!

MaryContrary80
on 10/3/12 6:23 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 What do you do on days like this? I just want to eat, eat, eat, I know it's all in my head, and I really have not succumbed to it, I'm just having a tough time, I just want to eat a little of this and a little of that all day long! 

I really know my issue is that I'm tired. That was a big trigger for me before surgery and it still is. It brings out the head hungries big time. A good solution would be a nap but that's just not in the cards. I could probably snag an early bedtime tonight though!! UGH, I just need to lock up my cabinet and fridge! There are things in there calling my name! At least I can start making dinner soon! 

bigpinkstork
on 10/3/12 6:37 am - NC
I get PMS days like that.  I can't actually eat much, but I eat more than I usually would, if you see what I mean. 

I often have to go upstairs, away from the kitchen, for the evening.  No TV up there, so I read or get online.  If I stay on the same level as the food, it keeps calling to me, at least on "those days."
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/12 6:55 am
You answered your own question, you need a nap.  I understand that naps are not always possible, next best thing, stay hydrated.  Drink all day long like a fish.  Allow yourself to feel the hunger and still not graze.  It will eventually go away.  Go to bed early tonight.  I hate days like this.  I usually allow myself to eat at the high end of my range when this happens.  Tomorrow will be better.  Hang in there.
MaryContrary80
on 10/3/12 7:16 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 Thank you both so much! Elina, that's exactly what I'm doing, drinking, drinking, drinking, and pretending it's a snack. :o) Chicken meatballs for dinner tonight, just started them, and they are smelling yummy! Can't wait for my hubby to get here so I can eat them! 
Jls8877
on 10/3/12 8:56 am
I'm fairly new to this just being 1 month plus post op but I have had a few days like this recently. I was low on my calories and protein b/c of tolerance and restriction. Unfortunately , I discovered some slider carbs. What I noticed about those carbs is that I didn't feel the restriction like I do with meat. I did eat a few chips and had a mini choc bar a different day. I was low enough on calories and carbs that neither really bothered me and I was easily satisfied with a small amount. Preop I would have eaten half a bag of chips and the whole bag of mini choc bars. I'm not advocating eating all day BUT if you do allow for a small "treat" in your plan, maybe it will help curb your head hunger. That being said, small amount is the key. Something else I noticed is that there are some days I don't want to eat at all. I have to force myself to eat my protein and a few bites at a time is all I can do. 

I fully respect the advice others have given and acknowledge that I am VERY early in this process with A LOT to learn but letting myself have a small amount of a food on rare occasions have helped me thru my head hunger games. It can not be an all the time or everyday thing. I realize this. I'm down almost 30+ pounds since surgery so I think it's working. 
Good luck! 
MaryContrary80
on 10/3/12 9:05 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 Thanks. I am actually too scared to try to eat something like that. I don't know why. I think it's because I'm afraid I won't stop. I just remind myself that a snack or meal is coming soon. I really feel like for right now I'm going to stay strict with myself even if it's hard some days because I know myself and I'm good at making excuses. I feel like for a month out I have a bigger appetite and less restriction than others at the same point as me so I really try to stick to my rules. I am definitely not perfect and this is a learning process, but I feel like I'm doing pretty well for now. I will probably add some "treats" in at some point when I feel like I can handle them, but for now I'm just taking it one day at a time. Thanks for your advice and I hope you are doing well! :) 
ordinarybeauty
on 10/3/12 10:07 am, edited 10/4/12 3:29 am
VSG on 09/27/12
Sounds like you are being successful and managing your hunger today. Going on OH is a good tool. Lots of support and understanding.

It might make it easier the next time this comes around to not only drink, drink, drink, and be fully rested but also to not have those things in the kitchen that are "calling my name". I believe environment is stronger than will, so I set up my environment/kitchen so that I am not tempted. Often it is our family members who want those things which is why they are still in the house. However, these foods are not really any better for the folks I love than they are for me. So, DH has said good bye to high fat high carb foods too!

MaryContrary80
on 10/4/12 5:27 am
VSG on 09/04/12
 Thank you :) I totally agree about environment and that has been something I've been working hard on with my hubby. Really the only "no no" type things in the house for me are whole grain bread and whole grain pasta (which my hubby and son eat but I don't), some granola bars and popcorn, and the occassional treat like fruit strips for my son, Jack. So nothing that I wanted was really "bad for me" (actually what I really wanted was a piece of toast with some butter and jam). Before surgery I was a binger and I would indulge myself on days like yesterday. Pre-surgery I could have easily consumed 3500+ calories on a day like yesterday but this time I had a supportive hubby, a junk free kitchen, a solid plan, you guys here on OH, myfitnesspal and of course my sleeve, and I won the battle yesterday! Seriously, I feel so good today knowing that I got through yesterday the way I did. Thanks for your support!! 
ordinarybeauty
on 10/4/12 6:37 am
VSG on 09/27/12
CONGRATS ON YESTERDAY AND ALL YOUR GREAT TOOLS AND DETERMINATION!

Escape_Pod
on 10/4/12 3:34 am
I think when the hungries strike, the more strategies you have to throw at it, the better! I chew gum, drink hot tea or sugar free cider, set the timer on my cell phone to postpone it, or take a few minutes to breathe deeply, stretch, maybe walk around the office or block for a moment, and lower my stress level.
Most Active