Different than everyone

Scotty D.
on 10/4/12 8:48 am - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
I have realized that everyone has different plans from thier Surgeon, but I seem to be different from everyone. I was on regular foods on day 18. My Doc doesn't want me to count anything. He said that I should male sure I get my protein and water in, and not to worry about everything else. He wants me to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks. I have been able to do this so far, but I feel when I read othr post that I may not be getting in enough Calories or protein. I just do what the Dr. says. I don't feel tired or anything, so I guess everything is OK. I am just on an accelerated plan. Has anyone else been through this? When I read post some people talk about being on soft food for 8 weeks. Just wondering. I am 35 days post-op BTW.
fennges
on 10/4/12 8:54 am - MI
Follow his instructions. He will make adjustments when you need them. We all share our experiences here, but no one should follow anyone else's plan. No one's surgery experience or healing experience is the same as the next person. Listen to your doctor, you'll be glad you did in the long run, I'm sure.

Sue     SW 260 lbs. GW 155 lbs.  5 ft. 5 in. 60 years young 
Surg. Date 6/4/12  
CW 11/25/12  189 lbs.

emelar
on 10/4/12 8:58 am - TX
Like you said, everyone's plan is different.  I went from full liquids to "soft" food (skipped puree) at 3 weeks, then regular food a few weeks later.  Stick with your plan, just be careful with your new stomach and wait for reactions from it when you eat something new.

I didn't have any calorie or carb limits.  I was instructed to eat protein first, no more than 1- 1 1/2 oz to start with, to shoot for 60g of protein a day, minimum of 64oz of liquid.  I didn't have room for anything other than protein for the first 6 months, so it kinda self-regulated itself as far as calories and carbs were concerned.
Jaffe
on 10/4/12 9:01 am, edited 10/4/12 9:01 am - PA
VSG on 03/19/12
I agree with Fennges response above in theory, but at the same time there should be some fundamental similarities in plans. If yours is TOTALLY in left field, then question it. I too was on regular food fairly quickly... not 18 days I don't think. I will tell you that not tracking food and only eating 3 meals with no snacks would not have worked for me. 

HT:  5' 7"    HW:  249   ConsultW:  238   SW:  218   Preop Loss:  20
  M1:12  2:11  3:7  4:7  5:8  6:8  7:7  8:3  9:0  10:3  11:3  12:4  13:0  14:4  15:

sheranfour
on 10/4/12 9:02 am
I second that motion...do whatever YOUR Doc says. When I found out I was having the sleeve , I bought and read that book advertised here by the Doc in  Mexico. Then when I talked to MY Doc and Nurse they made it clear that that is not how THEY do it and I was to follow THEIR plan. I was confused at first when I came to OH at how much everyones plans are so different...but working for all.
Your Doc knows best
Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
(deactivated member)
on 10/4/12 9:22 am
Hi Scotty,
Even though I had the RNY every plan is so different.  I have always wondered if all the WLS are performed the same, why such a variance in a surgeon's protocol?  My advice is to always follow what your surgeon's plan is.  I cannot offer any advice because I had the RNY so my plan is somewhat different.  Still get protein in, drink lots of fluids.  Best of luck, Jane
acbbrown
on 10/4/12 9:34 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Im not going to say your particular doc is right or wrong, but ive met enough dumb ass doctors that I wouldnt necessarily trust them for everything..

You know you best. You know why you gained the weight, and to some extent, you know what you need to do to get it off.

Did you get fat from eating too many snacks/being a grazer? Great - follow the no snack plan. Did you get fat from letting yourself get hungry and eating 2000 cal meals/binging? Well, then perhaps eating every 2-3 hours may be more appropriate. Get fat from being an emotional eater? Then you know regardless of instructions on when and what to eat you need to address those issues. 

Weight loss concepts and tools are pretty basic across the board - low cal, high protein, for the most part lower-ish carbs, fluids, exercise, portion control, tracking...take what YOU need, and what will help YOU. But...just make sure you think about the plan you want to follow before just blindly following what your doc says. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

econtiff
on 10/4/12 1:17 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
My surgeon has an accelerated plan. I was also on solids at exactly 18 days (weird).

My surgeon says 30g or less carbs and focus on protein and water. 

He also wants me to get my nutrition from  3 meals with no snacks. He prefers I don't have protein shakes but I use one each day as a supplement and most days I do end up with a snack. It's my problem I am in the car for 1.5 hours straight when I pick up the kids from school and usually end up eating a 100 calorie pack of jerky while driving. Old habits die hard.

Don't try jerky right away, though. Takes a lot of chewing!!
Scotty D.
on 10/4/12 7:15 pm - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
WOW that is weird! Your plan sounds exactly the same as mine. Thanks for the comment. Nice to know there is someone out there that's going through the same plan. I looks like it is working great for you!
kitsyb
on 10/4/12 11:29 pm - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
Scotty, my best friend is from Roanoke, AL.  She graduated from the high school there in about 1971.  I am from Mobile, AL.  Howdy neighbor!

Most Active