RNY or Sleeve???

Tina Z.
on 10/5/12 7:54 am - NY
VSG on 12/28/12
Hi,
I'm just starting my journey and would like feedback fromm Post-Op people who have had the RNY or the Sleeve.   I'm trying to decide which surgery would be best for me.
Thanks!
lucy2e
on 10/5/12 12:04 pm - Laurel, MD
I can only tell you why I chose the sleeve - you can only know whats best for you!

1 - I didn't want rerouted, wanted my body to work as designed.  I didn't want to have the malabsorbtion or dumping also. 2 - I wanted to be able to take NSAIDS for pain.  I get migraines and headaches and want to be able to treat them with what works for me.  3 - I didn't want a "ghost stomach" that was there but couldn't be scoped if it was having problems.  

I went to my seminar not knowing much about bariatrics.  I wasn't in love with the bypass and didn't want the band (foreign body in me - yuck) but thought they were the only options.  Then the surgeon discussed a procedure with numbers close to RNY that just removed part of the stomach.  Dumping not an issue, malabsorbtion not an issue.  I found my answer - haven't regreted my decision for a second!  I love my sleeve! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

rebecky
on 10/5/12 2:23 pm - Chapel Hill, NC
VSG on 07/09/12
The Sleeve has a unique advantage in that the cells that produce ghrelin(powerful hunger hormone) are removed when the fundus of the stomach is removed. Hence it helps you lose weight through 2 mechanisms-decrease capacity to eat & more importantly it decreases the DRIVE to eat.  With the RNY the ghrelin factory remains, since the stomach is left in the body.  I had the sleeve & I cannot recommend any other weight loss surgery!
happyteacher
on 10/5/12 9:55 pm
 The first seminar I went to was for Rny.  Scared my husband half to death so I did not proceed.  It freaked me out to have the intestines rerouted and dumping.  A few years later I heard about the sleeve and went to a seminar, and knew immediately it was the fit I was looking for.  

Sleeve:
- no rerouting
- can take meds (I have cancer, asthma, and arthritis so this was important)
-stomach works normally
-no dumping (not typically for us anyway)
-foods don't mess with me at all
-easier recovery
- hunger hormone gone at first, then slowly comes back
- restriction keeps the overeating at bay (but you can eat around the sleeve)
- stats are as good as Rny
- malabsorption is not an issue

I am probably forgetting a few of the better attributes, but hey still need some coffee this morning.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

dec721
on 10/6/12 12:31 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
What they said!!!  Sleeves are fabulous :-)

--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

desertmom
on 10/6/12 1:57 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
I've just spent the afternoon with my friend thats now 24 months post RNY.She has regained about 20 pounds and is so angr with herself.She cannot eat meat or chicken only fish.She doesnt dump anymore and says food makes her sick rubbish stays down perfectly ie.crisps,bread,pasta...

This is so sad as she has a lot of feeding issues nausea and feeling sick but she is gaining rapidly.

I just think wih the sleeve the odds of having long term issues are less....just my opinion and I might be wrong and just have a super strong stomach as there is nothing I cannot eat.

Tina Z.
on 10/9/12 10:24 am - NY
VSG on 12/28/12
Thank you all for the feedback!  I think I've definately made my decision for the sleeve!!!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views