My almost 2 year old and protein shakes...

bluerskies
on 10/10/12 3:00 am
VSG on 06/25/12
My son is 23 months old and very eager to share the things that I am consuming these days.  He calls my Crystal Light drinks "Mommy Juice" and asks to share them all the time.  He has also decided that he loves my cheesecake flavored greek yogurt.  Neither of these items are a problem for me to give him.  But lately he's been asking for my protein shakes.  When he sees me drinking them he says "rotein pease?"  I've let him have a sip but didn't want to make a habit of this - at least not until I had a clear indiciation of the safety of consumption by a little one.  I know that too much protein can be touch on the kidneys and I've never heard of companies targeting children in their marketing of protein shakes.  I'd love to hear any thoughts that others may have on the subject!  Are protein shakes safe for little ones or should I steer clear of sharing any of them with him?  Thanks in advance!
 Jessica

moonglo82
on 10/10/12 3:05 am
VSG on 03/29/12
How cute!  This made me giggle :)

I have no knowledge about the safety of protein drinks for kids, but I would imagine that a few sips here and there wouldn't hurt him.  But again, I'm nowehere near an expert on the matter.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

AdeanaMarie
on 10/10/12 3:11 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
 I would definitely ask a pediatrician.  Probably depends on the quality of the shake and what it is made from.  I know soy and dairy can be high allergen foods, so it is worth checking out before you give him any.  I am sure a sip wouldn't hurt, but it could lead to more.  Who knows, it could be a great habit to start with him, if he likes it and you get the go ahead.  I know my friend has always given her boys Shaklee protein and they are super healthy.  However, Shaklee protein is a very high quality specific type of protein, so ingredients and processing do make a huge difference when it comes to what little ones and ourselves consume. 

I actually would be concerned about giving him the things with artificial sugar in them.  Artificial sweetners are okay for us in weight loss mode and as adults because we know how or should know how to regulate them and listen to our body.  However, little ones will not process that something is not making them feel good.  Artificial sweetners, unless made from Stevia, a natural plant, can have a very bad effect on our bodies.  Hence the warning on a lot of sugar free products that they can have a laxitive effect.  Also, the artificial sweetners have been known to cause headaches and other side effects in people.  Just be careful with volume on those.  Crystal Light does make a PURE, made from Stevia.  I only know this because I get ill effects from the other sweetners, but not from Stevia.  Just an FYI.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

kristen D.
on 10/10/12 3:18 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
they have those pediacare milk drinks, maybe that could be his own "rotein shake" to have while you have yours? It's got all the nutrients little ones need

Christina D.
on 10/10/12 3:18 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Sorry to digress but was wondering about your cheesecake yogurt. Do you add sf cheesecake pudding to nf Greek yogurt? If so, how much?

Thanks,
Amy
bluerskies
on 10/10/12 3:23 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Yes, I add sf cheesecake pudding to it.  I found the recipe here on OH.  I add about a tbsp of it to a 6 oz container of greek yogurt.  But you can vary it to your taste.  I've read that some add milk to soften it up a bit but I haven't done that.  I've actually been adding some of Libby's pumpkin and some pumpkin spice to it lately and it tastes like pumpkin cheesecake!  It'sdelicious!  I add about 2 tsp of pumpkin to the 6 oz container - but again you can do it to taste.
 Jessica

bluerskies
on 10/10/12 3:24 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!  I think I'll check in with his pediatrician!
 Jessica

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/10/12 3:27 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
A friend of mine asked her pediatrician this question recently for her 4 year old. She said one a day should be okay, but you don't want to go much more than that because of the higher protein content. She said especially if they have the extra vitamins and minerals in them, it could be pretty healthy. Also, you could take a small part of your protein shake and add extra milk or water to dilute it even further too. But I would still check with your specific pediatrican to be sure.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

PoohHag
on 10/10/12 3:28 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I'd be more concerned by the artificial sweeteners  you're giving him.
hollirrose
on 10/10/12 4:22 am
VSG on 04/21/12
My 5 year old also wants protein shakes. I bought the nesquik no sugar added powder in the canister. It sits next to my shakes in the kitchen. I make him chocolate milk in the blender bottle and he feels like he is having a shake too. There is only 35 calories/1 gram fat/7 carbs/1 protein. Not to bad in my opinion and he is drinking more milk.
Most Active