Sleeved and Hungry??

NewtoYou
on 10/10/12 12:23 pm
VSG on 09/10/12
Hey all.   I was sleeved on Sept 10th, and have had a REALLY good recovery; my only medical complaint would be heartburn which I am now medicated for. 

My concern right now though is about hunger.  I know I'm drinking enough, so it's not a thirst cue... but everyone has said you don't have hunger for a long time after surgery.  But I do.  It's not head hunger, I'm not craving anything, it's stomach hunger, even grumbling.  

So, is something wrong with my sleeve that I'm feeling hunger?  Or perhaps (and this is my #1 suspicion) the reflux/heartburn isn't completely tamed and what I'm feeling is related to that. 

I don't give in to the hunger unless I'm low on protein etc so weight wise I'm not worried, but long term I am.  

Also started having carb cravings...  normal? 

Thanks folks!   Cheers.  
MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/12 2:24 pm
Everyone is so different I was hungry the day I got home then I found out I was supposed to be prescribed an acid med which they forgot to give me. I started that about 5 days out and it helped a little but I always have and still do feel hunger. I get hungry about every 3 hours. The nurse told me 3 small meals no snacks but I have always had a healthy snack in between my meals. I was suprised how much hunger I do feel. I am 12 wks out and have been able to eat 800 cals for about a month now and my body is happy with that and still losing great. You really have to figure out what is gonna work for your body. Some days I am just not satisfied and some days I get satisfied easy. You will feel hunger but it's much easier to quench the hunger than before and with much less food. Before surgery 1 string cheese wouldn't had done anything for me now I can eat that and be fine for another 2 to 3 hrs. To me that whole head hunger deal is when you are not physically hungry but you want to eat or when you have mental cravings. I am just now starting to crave carbs.I do have them but limit my amount.
moonglo82
on 10/10/12 2:34 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I never fully lost my hunger.  From the time I started solids, I got hungry every 3 hours or so... and the hunger actually served as a good reminder when it was time to eat again. 

Having said that, you might want to make sure that upping your PPI doesn't help, because acid can mimick hunger.  And as for the growling, our tummies can be quite noisy from time to time... this isn't always a sign of actual hunger like we are taught growing up ;)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Happy966
on 10/10/12 9:38 pm

I did not have heartburn, so I don't have a lot to offer in that regard - many people would probably say you were right.  My stomach *rarely* grumbles now - only when I am quite late with a meal (something I rarely do), so that does sound heartburn-y.

However, I did struggle with hunger, as soon as I started eating purees and continuing until maybe 8-10 weeks out.  I think it was because my stomach was not healed and I wasn't getting reliable feelings of saiety from my tummy and because I had to learn what was going to work best for me.

There is no honor in being hungry, and you won't have to be hungry with this surgery.  It's the No. 1 reason I had surgery!  Work on your heartburn.  When you are cleared for all foods (soon, yes?) you can have more flexibility in chosing foods that will really shut down your pyloric valve and keep you satisfied. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active