Is this normal?

grannymedic1
on 10/13/12 8:36 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I am 7 1/2 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision. I feel great now so that isn't an issue. My question is about the types and amounts of food I can eat. For me it is an extremely variable thing. I can eat Wasa Crackers but today I tried to eat the sauce from a piece of lasagna I ended up throwing up after 2 bites. I had that awful over eating feeling. One day I can eat a little fish, other days not at all. I cannot handle anything dense yet, nor have I tried. I tried a crab patty one night and that didn't work at all, either.

In light of the fact that I had 2 strictures treated in my first 3 weeks I am watching this carefully and am planning to call the surgeons office on Mon. but since I don't really know what normal is I thought I would see what some of you think.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Erica A.
on 10/13/12 8:43 am - KY
 This is perfectly normal. There will be some days that you may be able to eat more than others. Especially for about the first 3 months till all the swelling in your new tummy is down and it is well healed. I am almost 10mths out and still have issues with tomato sauces but can eat regular tomatoes just fine. I think it may be the sugars often added to those sauces but just not sure. Congrats on the surgery!

Goal 60% by 6 mths (143lbs) reached at 5.5mths

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

SuzyNZ
on 10/13/12 8:56 am
VSG on 09/17/12
I'm 4 weeks out and have issues with tomato based sauces too. I wondered if it was the sodium as a lot of those premade sauces are quite high in sodium. I was so looking forward to some beef mince and sauce and felt so yuck afterwards even though I only had a couple of spoonfuls. So in the freezer they stay for the moment!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

happyteacher
on 10/13/12 8:56 am
 Add to that the idea that 7 weeks out is not very far along, so your tolerances are more limited then what they will be say at 6 months.  Still, right idea to check in with your doc.  Chicken, bread/pasta, and eggs seem to be a bit harder to tolerate than other items for many.  My sleeve is made of iron so I never had an issue, but I see those posted a lot.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

TSinNC
on 10/13/12 10:42 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 Yes, it's very normal. Tolerances can change from meal to meal for some folks!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

slimpickins5280
on 10/13/12 11:18 am - CO
I tried crab at 2 months post op and paid for it. Tried it again at 4 months and have had it many times since and have not had a problem since that first try.

I suggest that if you find something that doesn't sit well with you to wait a month or two and try it again.

Once I got to 4 months post sleeve, I could eat just about anything.

Glad you are doing so well overall.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/12 4:53 pm, edited 10/13/12 4:54 pm
I now have the Sleeve of Steel, but in the beginning.... I couldn't count on anything working from day to day. It wa**** or miss. I could eat 2 oz of Tilapia one day and then the next one bite and I was full. Go figure! Same with a few other foods. I still have trouble with sugary foods (tomato sauce, some fruits, flavored yogurt, etc...) if I eat a bit too much - not when I eat them, but a few minutes later I can feel just awful. So, I avoid a lot of that stuff. I try now and again to check tolerance. You will have to learn your new tolerances eventually, too.

Having had the strictures, you are also healing from those repair assaults along with your normal healing process. Give yourself time to heal completely - at least 3 to 4 months. What you are going through is completely normal. Most of us have gone through similar.
grannymedic1
on 10/14/12 12:14 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Thank you all so much. This is so different from my after band experience that I just cannot tell what is normal and what is not. It seems that so many things end up having to come back up that I hesitate to try. Now that I know I won't be so hesitant. I have days that shakes are all I can do so that worried me.

Again, thank you, thank you.
Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views