Do pain meds metabolize differently?

Disappearing Me
on 10/16/12 10:30 am - Murphysboro, IL
Does anyone know if pain meds metabolize differently for us?  I'm being treated for a lumbar strain and muscle spasms and have been on Norco and Flexeril.  Yesterday, I went for a drug test for a new job and it had been two days since my last dose of Norco, yet it did not show up on the drug test.  Also, I've noticed that it does not last as long as it should.

Keith L.
on 10/16/12 11:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 It probably has more to do with absorbtion than metabolism, plus your liver probably does move stuff through a bit faster as it has a lot less to do than before.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MsBatt
on 10/16/12 1:57 pm
I can't imagine any reason they would. With the VSG, there's no change in the intestines, and those drugs are not absorbed in the stomach at all.
Alexis K.
on 10/17/12 3:23 am
VSG on 07/30/12
It also depends on what type of drug test they do- there's a 5 panel and a 9 panel. It might be that what you are taking does not show up in the 5 panel test, which is what employers commonly use (unless you're a truck driver or something else that gets a DOT-required test).

Disappearing Me
on 10/17/12 11:48 pm - Murphysboro, IL
It was a 5 panel, it tested for Opiates and I take Norco (an opiate.)  This is just what I think based on my experience, they seem to kick in faster and then wear off faster.  Like maybe they absorb faster then metabolize faster.  I'm not saying there is malabsorption, I mean it's just faster. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views