NEED ADVICE! VSG or LapBand?

Natalie O.
on 10/22/12 4:38 am - Stafford, TX
I always here about the scary things that can happen with surgery and I have been on this journey for SO LONG. Chickening out at the last minute but now I'm just plain unhappy.

I went for my consultation today and it shouldnt be a problem to get approved. I have to do a sleep study for sure too.

The ultimate decision. VSG or LB? LB is reversible and that is always good BUT I have heard of the band slipping, eroding, etc and people end up going to the VSG afterwards or RNY. I *will not* do the RNY and my heart kind of leans towards VSG.

I wanted to know what other people's experiences have been with the VSG.

Thanks everyone!

Natalie
Keith L.
on 10/22/12 4:49 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I spent years researching these surgeries before I decided on one. I know several people with the band and they all have issues with hunger and none of them lost all of their weight. I would say if you are leaning toward VSG, go VSG. Yes it is permanent, but ultimately more succesful. I have seen more people on this site hit their first goal and then ultimately make it down to their ideal weight. VSG is not guarenteed success, but I think more successful than the band.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

acbbrown
on 10/22/12 4:49 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Please please please do your research. The band is a horrible piece of equipment that is not reversible like you think. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Evymetalmommy
on 10/22/12 4:51 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
The band has always horrified me.  ALWAYS. 

Why are you scared of it being permanent?  This is a life changing event.  For me personally I don't want to go back.  So if it were me the choice is obvious...VSG.  

That being said, this is YOUR journey.  I know you will make the choice that is best for YOU.
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

Desari63
on 10/22/12 4:53 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
First, congrats on the 1st step of the weight loss process...it will be bumpy ride no matter which way you go but well worth it.

Are you okay with a foreign body around your tummy? Yes there is always the chance of it slipping but the good thing is you can have it removed at any time. VSG is a permanent surgery. I went with VSG because I didn't want a foreign body inside me and the bypass has too many issues to deal with as far as dumping goes. The VSG was the right choice for me.

Do all your homework on each, weigh the pros and cons and also decide how much weight you want to loss. If it's more than 100 pounds and you have co-morbidities, you may want to go the sleeve route instead of the band. Either way..your call..just make sure you're going to be happy with the choice you make.

Good luck and let us know what you decide..either way, we're here for the support.

Barbara

Barbara McKeown

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/22/12 4:53 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Lapband reversible.... not ENTIRELY true!

I know that is how it is marketed, but in my case... My band caused my stomach to prolapse through it, which caused 2 years of unfills, fills, etc. and when my surgeon went in to operate he said it was still slipped on my stomach (which xrays didn't show). He also had to remove adhesions from my liver that the band caused and lots of other scar tissue before he could do my revision. Everything with my revision went super great and I am very thankful for him. I can't say that anything the band did caused horrible damage, but I know there are those stories out there.  That is the other thing to consider...if something should go wrong with your band, will your current surgeon fix it and revise you to another procedure if you wanted. Mine wouldn't, so I had the stress of finding another surgeon and then fighting the insurance battle to approve a second surgery.

If your mentally prepared, I would go for the sleeve, hands down. Of course, I am only 5 weeks out, but even my family has commented on how much easier the sleeve has been thus far than with my band. Def interested to read what the Revision Vets say to your post, but that is my 2 cents.

Good luck with your decision! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Jenns Livin free
on 10/22/12 4:55 am
 Go with the sleeve.  I had to have four surgeries.  If I had just gone with the sleeve, I would have had only one.  I did have band problems, but I also had gas problems.  I had a constant pain in my left side when I had my band because I built up gas in my stomach.  Nothing I did relieved it.  With the sleeve, I have had no issues whatsoever!  It might be more permanent, but, ultimately, how many surgeries would you be will to go through?  
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/22/12 5:00 am, edited 10/22/12 5:03 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I have not had the band so I can't speak from experience but spread about so many revisions from band to sleeve or to the DS that it really turned me off the band. Also when I went for a couple of consults with surgeons they all told me they don't do the band anymore coz they take more of them out than they put in so that was the end of that story for me. I am two weeks out from my VSG and I am very happy so far.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

geeners22
on 10/22/12 5:08 am - CA
VSG on 10/09/12
I went through the same thing.  I was at first dead set on the Band.  What changes my mind was seeing my surgeon and him discussing the pros and cons of both.  VSG seemed to be the very best decision for me.  I don't regret my decision at all.  I am two weeks out tomorrow and am very happy with my choice.  As any surgery, you will have pain with healing, but I feel pretty good. 

Just remember with the VSG, it is a tool and I have learned that you can stretch out your stomach again, maybe not to its original size, but you still need to be careful.  Having that in the back of my head is helping me to remember that I need only eat a small amount...  and this will be FOREVER.  I'm totally ok with that.  I am looking forward to the thin, healthy me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  Taking the first step is the hardest.  You are now on your way.  :D

geeners22, San Jose, CA   HW: 252   Surgery WT: 241   GW: 135

desertmom
on 10/22/12 5:18 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
For any permanent result the change should be permanent.

The band sucks.I just finished reading the horror story of another lady,the band nearly took her life and she now has a very tiny part of her stomach left.

As for myself.I was sick and fat with the band for 7 years.I live in the Middle east and the dr just kept on saying it was psycological pain..lol.I self medicated for about 3 years before I felt enough courage to trust someone to take it out.My self confidence was absolutely destroyed and the failure I felt for so long still sometimes makes me want to just sabotage myself with the sleeve...see I got to know failure,even became comfortable with it.Success well,Im learning what it is with the sleeve.

I recognize so many of the people from the band forums of years ago on the VSG and RNY forums...we have all had to have it removed.

Dont torture youself.Do something to give yourself a brighter future.Do the sleeve. (geeze,that sounds like a slogan...lol)

Good luck

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views