SLOW DOWN!

nieba
on 10/25/12 3:17 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I am 7 weeks out and I am having the hardest time eating and drinking slowly. I need help. I am causing myself so much discomfort because I cannot get a handle on slowing down. Everything tastes so good and plus I am still dealing with the bubbles. HELP!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can train myself to slow down?

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

kimberleyann
on 10/25/12 3:23 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
use tiny utensils, example kids utensils. eat with chopsticks. put down utensils between every bite. count to 30 chews every bite.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/12 3:27 am
Chew!!!! That's what worked for me. I actually counted in the beginning - 30 chews each bite. Took a week or two and I got the hang of it. Now I eat pretty slowly. A meal takes me 15-20 minutes. It's a nice change to be the last one done, rather than the first one done!
SuzyNZ
on 10/25/12 3:30 am
VSG on 09/17/12
Agree with Kimberly.....count every bite to at least 30 and use smaller utensils. It's really hard work at the beginning as I was a fast eater too.

Stop whatever else your are doing and focus on just eating (don't multi-task or you will go into auto-pilot shovel it in mode without realising). I find this harder when Im at work as Im the queen of multi-tasking so I have to remind myself daily to take time out for me.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

chanteuse1
on 10/25/12 3:41 am - LA
VSG on 09/05/12
I had surgery the day after you did, and this has been the hardest thing for me to learn, too.  Just remember, you've been eating one way for XX years (52 for me) so 'unlearning' that and learning something new is bound to be a *****allenging! 

I don't know if your nutritionist or surgeon recommended it, but my NUT recommended getting a kid-sized dining set complete with the kiddie fork, spoon, etc.  I didn't do it, but I could see where it would be both a visible and tangible reminder to eat less, take smaller bites, slow down, and chew more thoroughly.  Mostly, I just try to be 'mindful.'  I try to savor each bite, not just make sure I'm chewing it thoroughly.

I hope this helps!

Julie
kristen D.
on 10/25/12 5:19 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
i agree with above, get toddler sized utensils. put your fork down in between bites. count at least 20 chews per bite. use a timer if you have to. Eat half a meat at a time. i you watch tv while you eat, only eat one bite during a comercial. there are lots of te*****ues. :)

rhearob
on 10/25/12 7:21 am - TN

I never did the toddler sized utensils thing.  I also didn't count my chews.  I chewed until the food was almost liquid in my mouth.  

It takes some time getting used to it.  For me a good indicator early out was if I was burping I was eating too fast and not chewing enough.  My nose would start running when I started getting to the full mark.  IF you feel either of those - put down the fork.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active