18 Months Out

Jenny C.
on 10/27/12 3:27 am

Tomorrow it will be one and a half years since my VSG.

** Moment of silence for the tremendous gratitude I feel for this new life.**

I started my journey at about 240 pounds.  I had a long, long period of researching and trying to decide about what surgery to have and where to have it.  I had to decide between having insurance pay (and having either a bypass or an inexperienced sleeve surgeon) or self-paying for an experienced sleeve surgeon--and that's what I did.  I considered going to Mexico, but ended up choosing Dr. Rob Landerholm in Edmonds, WA. My best advice to anyone out there:  CHOOSE AN EXPERIENCED SURGEON WITH PROVEN SUCCESSFUL OUTCOMES. All sleeves are not created equal.

I got down to my original goal of 150 lbs. just after Christmas 2011 (so about 8 months). Setting a goal seemed kind of hard to do, so I had picked a number that was just into the normal BMI range.  Over the next several months I continued to lose, finally settling between 136-138.  The diet principles I followed were: focus on protein, getting at least 60 grams per day; focus on fruits/vegetables next, get sufficien****er, be religious about supplements.  

My path is a little different from many folks.  I don't eat a low carb diet...but I do fairly extreme exercise.  I have been a bicycle commuter for about 7 years, and about 6 months after my surgery I began doing longer rides.  All through the winter I did a 25 mile ride on Sundays with a women's group.  In the Spring, I also started doing a Saturday 45-mile ride with a group of (mostly) guys.  And that's what I do every week...bike to work every day and do about 70 miles on the weekends.  I'm usually biking between 400-500 miles a month.  Plus I do core/strength training at home 2 to 3 times per week.   Skin???  Not too bad for me.  Neck and arms are really just dandy, upper thighs a little wonky and a small belly flap.  I don't care, it's not that bad.

I love being thin and comfortable and pain free and having normal blood pressure and normal blood glucose and low cholesterol, and wearing cute clothes and shoes (and boots!) etc, etc.  I am ecstatic about all of those incredible benefits.  But MORE than that, I'm so grateful to get to be an athlete again in my life, at 52 years old.

I am grateful for all the information and support I've gotten from this board!  Thanks to all for being my community that I go to in this incredible journey.

The first pictures below are of Dr. Landerholm and me.  The first is the day after my surgery, and the second is from yesterday.  I can't say enough good stuff about this man & his sleeve skills.  Thank you, Dr. L, for this new life.  After that are a couple others--1 "before" and a couple of "afters."

Me with my daughter & husband:

Biking!

With daughter & friend, and with my husband:

Lexi2012
on 10/27/12 3:43 am
VSG on 06/13/12

way to go!  you are very inspiring, thanks for sharing your story

Lexi         
Jenny C.
on 10/27/12 4:37 am

Thank you!  and awesome job on your weight loss--way to go!

VanityFair
on 10/27/12 3:47 am

You say:  "I'm so grateful to get to be an athlete again in my life, at 52 years old"

And I say:  Thank you.  Really.  Really, really.  An athlete again.  Of all the things I could have used hearing today, a little more than a week from Meximum Sleevocity - "an athlete again" was just the right option.

You look amazing; it sounds as though you feel amazing and I am, indeed, amazed.

(Want to live on my fridge for six months?  No?  What fun are you?)

Mwah,

Sara

Jenny C.
on 10/27/12 3:53 am

Hells yeah I want to live on your fridge.  Knowing that my athlete comment spoke to you and means something really makes me so happy.  If you want to be an athlete, you are going to kill this weight loss thing dead.  I can't tell you how awesome it's going to be.  Come ride with me when you're ready.  Peace and buena suerte.  Jenny

Debbie M.
on 10/27/12 3:50 am - Orient, OH
VSG on 01/30/13

You look amazing and so much energy! Congrats!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Jenny C.
on 10/27/12 4:39 am

Thank you.  I believe I suffered from some form of chronic fatigue until 2001.  I joke that I spent the first 40 years of my life looking for a place to sit down (and preferably nap).  I LOVE having energy!!

acbbrown
on 10/27/12 4:17 am - Granada Hills, CA

Just amazing!!! You have been such an incredible role model and inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jenny C.
on 10/27/12 4:39 am

Alison, you inspire me!  Sister athlete!

frisco
on 10/27/12 4:20 am

Sweet !!!!

Congrats !!!

Great Work !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active