F this protein shake!

synthangel
on 11/7/12 12:23 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

Unjury also has a chicken soup flavored protein broth that has really been getting me by cause I am already sick of the sweet taste of other shakes

Joshua B.
on 11/7/12 12:34 am - Ridley Park, PA
VSG on 12/05/12

I can't agree more...The super sweet stuff just grosses me out. The Chicken soup flavored protein has been a life saver.

acbbrown
on 11/7/12 12:29 am - Granada Hills, CA

I'll just say I agree with everyone else - experiment. There are so many great options now - just have to find one that works for you.

But just as a thought - and I think this may have been true for me (i refused to drink protein powder for the first year post op and now I can't stop) but when you start the pre-op diet, or you start on shakes post-op, you are going from all of your favorite foods that obviously taste great to you - usually full of fat/carbs/sugar. Replacing that with protein supps - the protein just isnt going to taste as good for a while. But, I think over time, you do adapt and your tastes will change but you have to get that initial shock out of your system and stay away from the GOOD stuff (ie all the crap we shouldnt eat). If I have a piece of cake, there's no way I want to go have a protein shake. But on most days, if I had to chose between a fast food milk shake and one of my protein shakes - id 100% choose my shake.

Not sure if you had the muscle milk light out of the carton or the bottle, but I like the ones that are bottled for some reason. The carton ones are GROSS.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nieba
on 11/7/12 12:36 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

One other one to try is the Lean Body RTD. I was on Chocolate Ice Cream pre-op. I loved it.You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or Amazon or some grocery stores like Ralphs/Kroger might carry it.

Good Luck!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

emelar
on 11/7/12 12:51 am - TX

I think they need to stop calling them shakes.  I don't know about you, but I have a very definite idea of what a shake (as in milkshake) is, and there's not one of these drinks that comes anywhere close.  Some are just more tolerable than others.

If Muscle Milk isn't your thing, try some others.  You'll be dependent on them for some time after surgery, so you might as well take the time to find one you can stand or enjoy.  And try them both hot and cold.  Best of luck.

rarejem
on 11/7/12 1:04 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12

The first week is the hardest. You're used to what you normally eat and change is always difficult. If it makes you feel any better, my pre-op diet was 4 weeks at 30 grams of carbs or less. 

If you don't like sweet "shakes" try blending them with some plain Greek yogurt. I use Fage 0% and it helps reduce the sweetness. 

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/7/12 1:18 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

It will get better! My go to protein before surgery was the Premier ready to drink flavors for cold drinks (I bought them at Sam's club) and the Unjury protein powders you can buy online at unjury.com. You can order a sample pack of the unjury flavors that comes with two packets of each flavor they have to see if you like them enough to order in tubs. I liked them all and used the chicken broth and unflavored the most during my pre and post op liquid diets. The unflavored can be mixed in sf jello, light yogurt or greek yogurt - BUT you have to wait about 10-15 minutes after mixing it to eat it because it takes a little bit to dissolve in the cold substance so put it back in the fridge for a little bit. The unflavored also mixes well with all kinds of warm soup (

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

christinahelena
on 11/8/12 1:08 am, edited 11/8/12 1:08 am - CA

Matrix mint cookie and matrix double stuffed cookie, protein hot chocolate from health wise, and chicken soup protein saved me. I have tried 30 of them, and have hated all ready to drink ones. I use water and unsweetened vanilla almond milk to make. The first two come in at 140 calories, 23 g protein and 6 carbs. I have one of those a day. I can get down unjury chocolate truffle for another one at 100 calories and 20 grams. The protein hot chocolate is like 80 cal and 15 protein, 4 carbs and you can ice it and make a mocha with it too when cleared for decaf.

Good luck...also freezing mine part ways makes it way more tolerable for me.

Christina

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views