Triathlons and cycling

busymom39
on 11/1/12 7:41 am

I am awaiting my date for surgery and really can't wait for how it will change my life.  I LOVE to do sprint triathlons and cycle.  My fear is that these extreme sports will be difficult to do after I have surgery.  Is there a way to keep hydrated and eat my fuel while training and racing.  I am not talking about a leisurely Sunday ride on my bike. I did 2 century rides this summer and average around 60 miles a week (not now because it is too cold). 

I love reading all of the advice!

simmie78
on 11/1/12 10:43 am
Hi! Ahh! I've been waiting for someone to ask this! I'm a century girl as well! (Although it will be harder now since I live in mountainous territory). I asked my general dr and the surgeon about this because I can't stand the idea of not being able to ride! (As well as about scuba diving). Everyone says we will be fine. Since most rides we should be drinking/sipping constantly. And definitely every 15 min. I imagine that when I'm riding again, I will hjave protien drinks with me with a fair amount of carbs to allow for easily digestable, quick energy in case of bonking. (No more bagels!). There are of course gu and energy jelly beans and all sorts of stuff that people use that should be perfect for us....I have personally never been someone to use that, but I'll experiment on shorter rides and see what works so I have them on hand in case of a pinch. We just will have to be hyper vigilant about hydrating.

I also don't see a long ride in my future for at least 8 months...so by then my stomach should be ready to handle a bit more!!!

When is your surgery? Mine is next Wednesday! We should keep in touch and share riding tips, if you like! I think I will bring my bike out at Christmas (I live in hong kong)...so I'm ready when I'm in shape again!
busymom39
on 11/1/12 11:15 am
I am waiting for insurance approval right now. It should be next week and I will get to schedule my surgery. I am hoping to have surgery early in December so I can have some "free" recovery days while school is out for Christmas. (I'm a teacher)

I am a HUGE fan of blocks and beans. I do drink a lot when I ride. I really hope it is doable because I love to ride. It clears my mind.

How cool that you are in Hong Kong. We have a Korean exchange student whose parents currently live in China. He has been to Hong Kong a couple of times.

Keep in touch
acbbrown
on 11/1/12 12:16 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Ive done a triathlon, a metric century, and ran a 1/2 marathon. This was after my bariatric doctor  - in no uncertain terms - told me that WLS patients can't be endurance athletes. 

SCREW THAT. I can chug water and eat too damn much for my own good. It takes a while - right after surgery, probably for the first year, you have to be pretty mindful about nutrition and hydration, but now..im 17 mo out, and I have zero issues. Thankfully I have no issues with sugar and when I swallowed a gu and chased it will gatorade - no gastric distress!!

Check out the exercise and fitness forum - there are many WLS athletes over there doing full ironman triathlons. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

simmie78
on 11/1/12 12:48 pm

AWESOME!  Drs are very different where I live - both surgeons I interviewed basically said - why wouldn't you be able to do that?  You'll be thinner and in better shape - you should be doing those rides!  The US is much more conservative about telling people what they can and can't do (at least from what I am seeing on the boards)...guess it comes down to when and what is right for the individual!  I'm going to the exercise forums!  Thanks! S

Most Active