rny to sleeve any issues? complications?

tattoobabe
on 11/4/12 2:00 am - MI

I will be having my endscopy tommorow once the report on that is complete all info will be submitted to my insurance for approval for revision. At my intial meeting with the surgeon he said i was a perfect candidate for a revision but he felt it would be best just to tighten up the opening of my rny. However after reviewing a video he gave my hubby (he also wants gastric bypass) that discusses the different procedures he performs I'm seriously leaning towards getting the sleeve as a revision as it takes out the part of the stomach that causes hunger. I know i will be broaching the subject tommrow with him prior to the endoscopy being done.. My question is i would love to hear from those who've revised from an rny to a sleeve. Any major complcations?  If i come across resistance regarding revising to the sleeve i will be looking into getting the ds with another doctor.

natalie37
on 11/4/12 8:40 am - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
I am one of the rare birds on here that was a rny revised to a sleeve. I had this done because i developed severe hypoglycemia- dropping into the 30's about 2 hours after eating and malabsorption issues resulting in having a series of iron infusions. After a seriously long road and many doctors, it was decided that getting my pyloric valve back in action may help the hypoglycemic episodes since this can become life threatening. Long story short, my hypoglycemia is back, just not quite as bad. But, I will say I wish I'd waited and had the vsg to begin with. I do get hungry- may be related to my crazy blood sugar, but many people on here say their hunger returns or actually never left. Also, my weight loss since this revision has been extremely slow compared to the initial rny- my doc says this is common- again, my blood sugar issues may have a factor in my situation. I was also presented with the option of having my rny pouch banded to narrow the opening- after everything I've read the band was NOT an option for me!!
Don't know how much help I am to you, but wanted to share my experience!! Good luck with your decision!
Natalie
Most Active