Dear brain, stop weighing yourself every morning.

tanass
on 11/8/12 12:58 am - Kelowna, Canada
VSG on 10/23/12 with

So it's pretty self explanatory. I'm helpless addicted to a daily weigh in the mornings. I mean, who isn't? Or at least not right off the bat. It's really frustrating me as one day I'm down a pound, the next I'm up a pound and a half. Then I will go 3 -4 days not even budging the scale. If I was a few months out, I'm sure this would bother me less but I'm not. I'm just over two weeks. Granted I started at 298 .. surgery weight 285 ( lost 13 pounds pre opt) and as of this morning I'm 276. But what I don't understand is I definitely cheated a ton on my pre opt diet and since my surgery I've done great and obviously not able to cheat and I'm losing slower.

I started soft foods the other day. Squash (eat about half a cup) and egg whites with hot sauce.. not sure if starting that has anything to do with it.. Just feels like for how heavy I started, I'm really not losing it all that well. I am down 21 pounds and that's great.. though it hasn't changed any of my sizes at all so maybe that's why I'm being a little harder on myself. Who knows.

I guess that's the curse of checking the scale daily.. has anyone else had this similar situation in the first few weeks starting out?

Alison V.
on 11/8/12 1:04 am - MO
VSG on 10/22/12

I am right there with you.  Sleeved the day before you.  I am about to ask my hubs to hide the scale except for on Fridays!  Ha.

I bet your body is adjusting to the surgery (fluids, anesthesia, etc.)  Just keep doing what your doctor says, and you'll see it come off.

Keep your chin up, and stop weighing yourself every day. 

Shagdoll
on 11/8/12 1:11 am

I lost about 18 pounds pre-op and the another 18 pounds in my first 3 weeks... then I hit that dreaded 3 week stall at week 3 so I didn't lose a darn thing until week 6.  We just gotta remember, we all lose at different rates.  I know I got easily frustrated early out when I felt I wasn't losing fast enough but as long as you stick to plan, the scale will move again!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

SuzyNZ
on 11/8/12 1:28 am
VSG on 09/17/12
That's totally normal. My pattern seems to be "lose for 3 or 4 days, stay the same/fluctuate up and down 500 grams for 3 or 4, then start going down again... rinse and repeat"

Just keep doing what you're doing. It will happen and your body just needs to have a "holy cow, what is going on!!??" moment every so often. Buy first stall was at 4 weeks, for 12 days of nothingness. During these times, measure, measure, measure as your body will be changing even if the scale is on strike.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mimij
on 11/8/12 1:47 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am 5 weeks postop. My weight loss has stalled for 2 weeks now. I know how you are feeling. I am totally sticking to the plan and I am exercising, but the weight is not coming off right now. It feels so good when the weight is coming off and you get so frustrated when you are doing your part and your body is not releasing that weight for some reason. Let's you and me get some positive energy going here that pretty soon we will see a drop! I know we will.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

bob-h
on 11/8/12 8:58 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

Hers is a simple  and sure fire way to get over this.  HIDE the damn scale and only weigh in once a week. Don't let the scale rule your world right now.

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

sleevegirl
on 11/8/12 9:23 pm - Austin, TX

Some people need to only weigh once a week (heck, I saw someone post that they only weigh every 3 months). It's up to you and what works FOR YOU. So, get rid of it if it's a problem. It never was to me, but I'm a data person so I thought it was interesting to watch my body react.

If it helps, go to my profile, scroll ALL the way down and you'll see my stalls and big losses and small losses each week. I started out quite a bit heavier than you so DO NOT COMPARE, just notice the trends. It's totally normal.

If the scale is stressing you out, ditch it.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views