Permanent or Temporary Side Effect? (Heartburn)

NewtoYou
on 11/10/12 10:33 am
VSG on 09/10/12

Am I going to have heartburn forever?   I get it frequently, have a prescription from my surgeon, its run out and I had to send away for it and haven't gotten it yet.   This feeling sucks! 

Am I going to be suffering like this for the rest of my life?  Am I now to believe I will have to take a pill every single day forever??   I thought the plan of losing weight and such was to get me OFF of medications, not on to new ones. 

2 months of continuous HB so far and it doesn't seem to be subsiding.   I think it's causing my "hunger" too, which isn't helping.

Anyone else with the same issues?  How is it or did it play out for you?  

TIA!

MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

Laci M.
on 11/10/12 10:36 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I had it really bad about a week ago and then got a prescription from my doctor.  I haven't taken it in a few days though and no heartburn.  I'm a month post-op...so I'm thinking it DOES, in fact, stop.

MuttLover
on 11/10/12 10:40 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Reflux is a known potential outcome for sleeve patients, that's why you have to take a PPI after surgery.  I already have reflux (I'm pre-op), so I've researched everything I could find on it.  Basically, if you have pre-op, it can get better, get worse or stay the same.  If you don't have it, you can get it.  And for those who don't get it right away, some people develop it at about the 3-year mark.  

Currently, no accurate predictors on which category a person will fall into.  At least that's what everything I could find said, and want my GI doc said.  

So, only time will tell.  Sorry!  But I've been taking a PPI for 20 years already, so overall, I think the benefits of the surgery will outweigh the risks of a PPI.

NewtoYou
on 11/10/12 11:07 am
VSG on 09/10/12

Interesting, I didn't take a PPI after surgery, I got my rx at my 2 week follow up apt when I told the surgeon I was suffering from hb. 

I never had it before, and it didn't start until about 1.5 weeks post surgery,  8 weeks now and some days are better than others... but I def need the pills.

Thanks for the info.

MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

wasabilover
on 11/10/12 11:42 am - TX
You may want to get some over the counter Prilose****il your script comes in. Heartburn miserable. Try an extra pillow or 2. Raising your head while you sleep can help. Good luck.
cece58
on 11/10/12 11:53 am - CA

It has a lot to do with the skill of the surgeon and how the sleeve was made. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

SandyFromNJ
on 11/10/12 12:47 pm

Pick up some omeprazole or over the counter Prilosec from the drug store.   You will feel better.  :)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/10/12 2:33 pm, edited 11/10/12 2:33 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Didn't have it before even though apparently had a hiatal hernia that the surgeon fixed at the same time as doing the VSG. He did warn me that reflux was a possibility, after surgery or down the road. I had a script for Nexium 40 mg for six weeks (still taking it) post op to protect the stomach as it heals. So thus far no reflux at all. I have 12 days of Nexium left so when I go off it we shall see if I have any reflux but I sort of doubt it. I hope not anyway!!! I agree with a previous poster, a lot depends on how the sleeve is made. How tight, how far from the pylorus the cut is made, how much room is left, how curved or straight it is made, etc. He explained it all to me before but this part I was kind of out of it. I was too nervous about just waking up.
Lots of folks, with or without the VSG live with GERD and manage it with a daily PPI. I figure if I get it eventually, I would rather deal with GERD than diabetes. Life is a series of trade offs. Get the best deal you can and manage the rest. Hope your heartburn goes away eventually.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views