Sy-Fi WLS support group.

tanieanie
on 11/16/12 9:48 am - WI

I had the strangest encounter with a WLS support group.  I am 1 1/2 yrs out and recently felt I needed a boost to stay motivated and maintain.  I went to the local support group meeting at the hospital and OMG!!!

Some of the things I heard were insane and from people 6 months or less out.

Quotes.

1. I am so glad I did this cause I hated having to try to exercise.

2. I have to mash up my spaghetti when we go out and people look at me strange.

3. When we went to KFC  it felt so good to only eat 1 piece of chicken with sides of mac&cheese and some potatoes or at pizza hut if we order thick crust I only have 1 piece of pizza and a bread stick.

4.When I asked about their carbs daily goal.  I was told by one, If I wanted to count calories or carbs I wouldn't have had the surgery.

Then while on the topic of restriction I mentioned that I'm careful because although I'm full on 3 oz of protein I could eat soup all day and never get full.  One lady looked horrified and said.  YOU EAT SOUP? THE DR'S TELL YOU NOT TO EAT SOUP.  I was astounded because obviously these peoples Dr said nothing about Pizza Hut or KFC.

There is only one Dr at this hospital who does this surgery and I used him as well.  He did not give us much direction at all and the nut of a nut I had there told me to restrict to 30 carbs per meal (Yes per meal)   I realized without this site I would be one of those lost wls people at that meeting.   I felt like I should have led the meeting because the nurse who led it gave no direction at all!   It was a comedic experience.

beckyinkc
on 11/16/12 10:00 am
VSG on 07/25/12

I think some of these comments show why there is a stigma on weight loss surgery.  I know that there are always going to be people who don't want to work at anything, or who do not care about anything but losing weight without exercising and getting healthy, but I do not believe they are the majority (at least I really WANT to believe they aren't).  But those are the people that are associated with WLS in most people's minds, rather than those of us who needed the help and are using it to try to be healthier and maintain long-term good habits.

Gonna go back to that support group? :)  I actually haven't been to one here yet.  My doctor's group is during the middle of an afternoon, and I can't leave work to go to them.  I use OH as my support as needed, and that'll just have to do unless I find another group around here that meets in the evening or on the weekends.

Keith L.
on 11/16/12 10:06 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I think you need to go back and set them straight. That is scary. It made my sphincter clench.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

tanieanie
on 11/16/12 10:15 am - WI

I apologize for causing your sphincter discomfort.  LOL

Laci M.
on 11/16/12 11:06 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Good god...did these people research the surgery AT ALL?  

My mom had a heated conversation the other day with a family member who said that if my uncle got the surgery, ALL his problems would be miraculously fixed.  With no exercise or getting control of head hunger.  My mom put her in her place!!

jacreasy
on 11/16/12 11:59 am
VSG on 04/23/12

LOL good for your mom!! angry

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

tanieanie
on 11/16/12 12:01 pm - WI

Isn't it amazing the distorted way some see the surgery.   Its no wonder so many people don't admit to having it.  I hate it when I hear people say things like its the easy way out or Why didn't you just try to take charge of your eating habits without the surgery.  (like, OMG I didnt think of that)  LOL   This has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, but, the rewards are well worth it and Ive learned and been able to apply the discipline to other parts of my life and I feel its made me a better person.  BUT IT TAKES DISCIPLINE!

pineview01
on 11/16/12 2:24 pm - Davison, MI

That just makes me made that they and you didn't get and they aren't going to get the proper info to make this work.  So glad your here.  You need to see if you CAN lead the group.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views